In general, we recommend converting all PowerPoint items to videos (from Office 2010 onwards you can simply Save As -> WMV Video and from Office 2013 onwards you can save directly to MP4 video) which allows playback across all Xibo clients. PowerPoint support is kept in the Windows client at present for legacy content and may be removed in a later release.
Sometimes Windows Updates or Office Updates from Microsoft can change the default behaviour when we ask Internet Explorer to render a PowerPoint file on the client. We provide instructions in the installation guide for configuring the computer to run PowerPoint media items. If those instructions aren’t working correctly, you may try the following in addition:
Download FileTypesMan Utility From
Extract the program and run the main executable.
For each of the common PowerPoint file extensions (ie
ppsx), do the following:
- Search for the extension (Ctrl + F or use the search toolbar button)
- Select the extension you’d like to change, right click and choose “Edit Selected Extension (F2)”.
- Tick the “Open this file type immediately after download, without confirmation” box under Advanced Options
- Untick the “Don’t open inside a Web browser window” box under Advanced Options
- Press Ok
- Repeat for the next file extension
You are Done. Next time xibo runs with a ppt layout, it will no longer popup dialog boxes for PowerPoint files.