Content error - "SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 1406 Data too long for column 'page' at row 1"

Hi Xibo Geniuses!

One of our Displays (1.8 RC1 for CMS + Display) is throwing an error every minute or so:

LogAgent|2/16/2017 3:13:04 PM|Error|LogAgent - Run|Exception in Run: Client found response content type of ‘text/plain’, but expected ‘text/xml’.
The request failed with the error message:

There has been an unknown error with XMDS, it has been logged. Please contact your administrator.

On the CMS it’s showing the following in Display → Manage in the Errors section:

SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 1406 Data too long for column ‘page’ at row 1

And the Display is showing the Default Layout instead of the failing Layout.

If I update the failing Layout for this Display with just one or two Library items, it works fine and the errors go away. When I return it to the original Layout list, if fails again. So something in the content is apparently problematic. We use a combination of Embedded content and image/video Library files.

Is there an easy way to ascertain which content item is problematic without removing them one by one? The Layout contains about 500 items, so it would better to use logs/diagnostics rather than isolation if at all possible.


Hi Pete,

Did you try to enable debugging in CMS and auditing on the player?
Perhaps there will be more logs regarding this issue.

Alternatively you can try doing this How to get a Windows Player log for advanced debugging

Please create separate display profile for it though, as it will create a lot of logging.

Could you please let me know if that’s docker installation or did you install it manually?

Thanks so much, Peter!

I had considered enabling debugging in the CMS, but assumed that would not help because the error was (presumably) being generated by the player itself. I will try CMS debugging as well as the advanced player debugging as you suggested.

Yes, this was a docker-based installation.

Our player is offline at the moment (totally separate issue) so once it returns to life we’ll try all this and I’ll report back what I found.


It could be a good idea to do upgrade to rc2, since with docker it should be easy.

Alternatively wait for rc3, which should be out soon, we’d definitely recommend using rc3 once it’s out.

Thanks again. Yes, we’re definitely going to do rc3 when it’s ready. We decided to wait since I saw it was due out soon.

Have a great weekend!