Xibo CMS 1.8 with PHP7?

Just a month or two ago, I started to use Xibo 1.7.9.
It had to run in an internal environment without access to the internet.
Also, I was given a shared hosting environment that was based on Ubuntu 16.04 and Virtualmin (docker was not an option), which means I had to deal with PHP7.
Fortunately, I came across this:

and using the guidelines there, I was able to modify the Xibo CMS to run with PHP7.

Someone had told me that PHP7 support would be in 1.8, so I was delighted when it was released, only to become somewhat disappointed when I found this was not the case.

Just keep in mind that PHP5.6 is already out of active support since last january, and only security fixes for it are now released on an as-needed basis.
Fortunately, because many projects are in the same situation as Xibo, they extended this “security fixes only” support period till december 31 next year.
But still I think that Xibo should be changed to using one of the PHP7 branches long before the extended support for PHP5.6 ends, so there is sufficient time to “iron-out the wrinkles” that occur from the move from PHP5.6 to PHP7.

Does anybody know if a timeline is already set for getting PHP7 support in Xibo 1.8?
Unfortunately, I am not a programmer myself (just a hobbyist), and the changes between Xibo 1.7.9 and 1.8.0 are so significant that they are (for now) beyond my comprehension.

By the way, keep up the good work ! :wink:
Regards,
Bert

We’re fairly confident, the CMS code already supports PHP7, however some of the libraries the CMS uses haven’t yet been updated with PHP7 support.

As soon as that’s available, we’ll make an announcement.

Thanks Alex, I guess I just have to practice my patience a little bit.:relaxed:

It’s been discussed here multiple times previously too :slight_smile:

Hi Alex, any news on topic? Or adopt/apply the patch as a supported Xibo release?

When there’s any news on this, it will appear in the release notes for that release.

Test docker version with php7, read more here: PHP7 on alpine containers - request for advance testing