Trying to figure out random blank screens

Hello,

I’m using xibo Version 1.8.9, player is on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I have one layout with 2 feeds, 15 seconds each, always running.

I’m trying to figure out why I’m getting a blank screen. It happens randomly, usually about 10 - 15 seconds but not always. I pressed i and looked at the log but all items are 100% downloaded. I have ran a report fault and downloaded the result file. Where can I upload it?

Thank you

For how long do you get the black screen?

It could just be the layout reloading after region with the longest duration has ended, which is expected.

If that is the case, then you can increase the duration of your widget - please keep it in sane values though ie say up to 24h, do not set the duration to days+.
Regarding Tickers, by default, the duration in this widget is per item, please also keep that in mind when adjusting it.

The black screen usually lasts about 5-10 seconds but seems random, sometimes longer than the others.

Do you increase the duration of the widget in “Edit Module” (Default Duration)? It was set to 5, so I increased it to 60.

Setting up a custommodule seemed really complicated (I don’t know programming) so I just set the feeds in “Region Timeline” (screen shot). Is this okay?

Thanks for your help.
stvnn

Default duration on Modules page - that’s a default duration for that particular widget, so when you add a new widget to your layout and don’t set the duration by yourself it will use the default duration specified in the module.

If you set the duration on the widget itself then it will use that duration instead.

15s for tickers (I assume) might be fine, depending if you also have duration is per item enabled or not and how many items are returned in those feeds.

Perhaps have a look at this topic about durations - Understanding Media Duration and how it affects the playback of a Layout

Unless there is some other issue on your layout, I’d guess that the black screen you’re seeing is the layout reloading, so you could increase the duration of your widget or add another widget with longed duration if the 15s/ticker works well with the content they return.

Thanks for your help Peter! I’m testing out with longer duration. So far so good. I’ll post here again if there are problems. Thanks again.