Server that would handle around 200 clients

Dear Community,

I would like to know if there are some suggested hardware specifications for a server that would handle around 200 clients. If yes, I would like to know it, if no, let me know your mind. May somebody has a similar experience with this amount of clients.

Moreover, I have built a test server to test your software on a simple machine (i3-8100T, 8GB RAM) and it works fine, but at the moment I have only 1 client.

Would you also please recommend me a right OS for it? At the moment I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (no gui) with docker that contains Xibo 3.0.0 RC3. There will be used Samsung TVs with TizenOS S6 or newer but I think also about a dedicated client.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings, D

No info, update in this thread? :slight_smile:

Hello D,

I do not have a direct answer to your question. Below is an older post here from Alex, as you will see in his response from someone else looking for the requirements for a Server to support 30 players, it all depends what features are enabled, how much data is transfering to the players and how often that data is sent.

In the post at the link above he recommends building a configuration and testing. In another post I read on this subject he recommended building a server and test 10 players with the features and test data approximately the same as you plan to use in production, then multiple the requirements that worked well in increments of 10, so for 200 players, you would multiple the configuration approximately 20.

I am like you trying to determine the size of the server(s) for 100 players and how to scale that incrementally by 100 players. I am currently building out in Containers in AWS to test, where I can increase requirements, and scale additional containers with load balancers to increase capacity.

When I am done with my testing I will post the findings if I can create reliable data from the testing.

PS: It would seem that from experience they (Xibo technical team) could provide better guidelines for Server Requirements, making some assumptions on data, how often data is sent, standard set of features enabled, etc.

Thank you,
Kyle

1 Like

Oh, I see. It is not a problem, just wanted to know if there are some system requirements for X devices.

Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Kyle,
That’s an interesting deployment, would you be able to expand on the AWS services your using and how you manage multi-tenant scenarios within this build.
I’m looking at similar use case but struggling with the architecture.
If commercially sensitive then maybe we could connect offline
Good luck
Franco.

Hi Franco, below is a preliminary architecture for my implementation. I am still building out the architecture in my lab and have not fully decided on how I will build it in either AWS or Azure, on AWS I may start out using Lightsail Containers or I may use ECS containers. I currently have three virtual servers running Linux and Docker and I am building out the Architecture below for testing then I will begin to determine how I will build it in the Cloud base on cost and scalibility. I am currently planning to use Docker Swarm but may switch to Kubernetes. I have no Kubernetes experience at all, only Docker.

I am basically planning to have seperate containerized environments for each partner at this point, after more testing an research I might consider a different approach depending on the costing.

Kyle

1 Like

Thanks Kyle,
I’m still getting to grips with Docker and AWS. I’d like to replicate this build but don’t have enough experience just now.
Thanks for sharing this and please keep posting updates.
Best of luck,
Franco

Hello Kyle,
I dug out this old post and wondered if you managed to build the services on this archetecture.
Particularly interested in consolodating the dbase on a secure network.
If there is anything you can share it would be much appreciated.
Thanks again.