RSS feed not updating 1.7.4

Morning all,

RSS feed has suddenly stopped updating. When I was on 1.7.3, it worked fine however since the upgrade it has stopped updating. It is currently set to update every ten minutes.

The feed is http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml

Restarting the client doesn’t help and I have tried deleting the region and re-adding but the problem continues.

It seems the only thing that gets the region to update properly is by deleting all local files and getting the client to download everything again the next time the client restarts.

Any one have any ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

It definitely should work, could please tell us what collection interval and download window start/end you have in display settings?
Also if you could provide us with screenshot of your device’s status window, that could help us determine what could be wrong.

The download window start/end time is 00:00 to 00:00 however if I click to change it says year 1899, relevant?

So download Window is open all the time, that’s fine.
Collection interval 900s = 15minutes, so every 15 minutes Windows client will try to connect to CMS for updated media/schedule etc. + all the changes ‘on the fly’ while the layout is running.
I assume that you have other media files in your layout, the region with longest duration is important:

So the link above, regarding duration of your layout and try to maybe lower the Collection Interval to lets say 60s for test and see if that will change anything regarding your rss feed updates.

If not, then I’ll ask to export your layout so we can test it in our test environment.

Thanks

I will set the Collection Interval to 60s and see what it does over the next half an hour or so.

Thanks

Hi

It still won’t update on its own however it seems to update now when the client is restarted.

Thanks

The date/time of client windows and CMS are right?

Yeah all matching between server and client

Are you sure you don’t have a long duration on your layout?

My client its not updating.

I create a region for 180 seconds to show a webpage, and its not refreshing the page.

Just an update on this, I have rolled back the machine to client 1.7.3 and now the RSS feed updates every ten minutes…

I’m going to leave it for a day to make sure it’s back to normal then do another fresh install to 1.7.4 to see what happens.

Hi,

It strange that it is better on 1.7.3, could you perhaps export your layout and give us a link to download it?
You can send it to me via pm, if you don’t want to post it here.

thanks,
Peter

So, after some testing, I can say that it is working on 1.7.4 but small change that you might want to do is to always have update interval a minute less than the time the layout reloads (region with the longest duration).

If everything is set to the same time (10min in your case) then sometimes when the layout reloads the update interval hasn’t quite expired, because of that rss feed items might not be fully updated.

Other than that I didn’t notice any other problems.

Cheers for testing it.

I will try a clean install of 1.7.4 at some point and hopefully it was just a blip for some reason.

Further update.

I reinstalled 1.7.4 client, did nothing else, left it running the layout and the rss didn’t change once in an hour. Uninstalled 1.7.4 and installed 1.7.3, rss was updating every ten minutes.

Literally the only thing changing is installing and uninstalling client versions. Very bizarre.

Well, it is bizarre behaviour indeed, especially since we tested it, without making any changes to your layout.

Next time you feel like reinstalling 1.7.4 :slight_smile: or actually in general, try to set update interval to 9min ( or leave it at 10 but change one region to be 11min, so there is 1 min difference between collection interval and the longest duration region on the layout).

The only change between 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 (in regards to this issue) is that the media timer starts immediately, whereas before it would start only when the content has loaded. So because of that when you have everything set to 10min you might see(or actually not see) rss content updating not as you want.

1 Like

Hi all I am back

I have a brand new installation, everything on latest versions and rss ticker is still not working as it should.

Everything downloads fine to the players except for the ticker. This new test layout has one image and a ticker running at the bottom but only the image shows. I usually have 3 screens working but rss has stopped on all 3.

Any ideas anyone?