.js files not downloading on some players (1.8.2)

Hello all,

Recently we switched to Xibo 1.8.2 (both server and clients of course).

While I’m preparing a couple of new Windows player to be used, I notice some of them are not downloading all the .js files. The weird thing is that all players are installed through the same Windows image. So all the installs are 100% identical. All players have unchanged Xibo library location, same URL etc. Only thing we change before using them is the Hardware ID.

• As said: both client and server are on 1.8.2
  • Most players get a checkmark in the ‘Status’ column. Those players have downloaded all the files
  • Some players do not get the checkmark, they will get a cross. No matter how long I will wait
  • At daytime the players are showing only their default layout. In the evening they will show a layout that is assigned to the group they are all in.

This is what the player shows (I do not wish to share the URL publicly so I left it out):

This is what I see in the CMS:

What I have tried so far:

• Uninstalling Xibo Client, deleting all files and installing Xibo again after Windows reboot;
  • Assigning different default layout
  • Trying to find solution on Community

So far, no good. Hope you can help me out!

Edit:

I also notice the notifications in the CMS:

I appreciate that you do not want to share the URL, but it would be good if you could confirm or deny that you have /web in your CMS address, if you do then that implies an error in server configuration, please see http://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/install_environment.html

Looking at your XMR status, then that’s clearly not configured at all or at least not correctly - do you have zeroMQ installed and enabled and XMR configured in your CMS settings? (there is a link to XMR page from the manual page linked earlier)

What’s your player local library path and the CMS library path please?
Looking at the ‘Media’ on your Display Manage page, it seems that this display is indeed downloading files multiple times, which could imply a problem with either downloading (connection issue) or storing those files on this specific PC.

Although if all installs are the same, then at least CMS library is most likely fine.

In CMS settings -> general what do you have in ‘File download mode’? In most cases it should be set to OFF.

You can also try to clear the display cache (just edit&save it on Displays page).

Hello Peter,

The CMS address does not end with /web.

XMR is not configured yet. We did not have the time to complete this part of the setup.

The local library on the clients is c:/users/[username]/documents/Xibo Library
I am not sure how to check the CMS library path… It is on our server (Docker)

I do not have an option called ‘File download mode’ in Settings -> General. Not sure which option you mean…

Just cleared the cache of one of our players. We’ll see what this does.

Note to (maybe) clarify some details:

• We imported our 1.7.9 database to this fresh 1.8.2 CMS, using a manual on Xibo website;
  • Clients that have already been used with 1.7.9 and have been updated to 1.8.2 seem to have no problem at all;
  • Clients that are new and have never been used with 1.7.9 show the described problems of not downloading (all) .js files

Hope this will take is in a specific direction!

If you’re using docker then settings wise everything should be fine.

As for XMR on docker, you will only need to enter XMR public address in CMS settings it’s usually something like:
tcp://ipaddress:9505 or tcp://yourdomain:9505

That certainly is interesting, if after cache clear / restart it would still have problems, then I’d suggest enabling auditing for one of those new displays (presumably all of them behave the same way?) and see if they will log any specific relevant errors on CMS log page.

You could also run the verify all on Modules page, restart your player and see if that will make any changes for the better.

Failing that, you can take it one step further with this How to get a Windows Player log for advanced debugging
The path does not need to be C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Xibo Library\log.txt but library usually is a good place to store logs - if you’ll be using this method, please do make sure to use new display profile and to switch it back when you collect enough logs.