Issues with weather (curl error 60) self signed cert

Good afternoon!

I’m using CMS v 1.8.9, hosted on Windows Server 2016, in a vmware environment, and the clients are running on Intel M3 compute sticks with windows 10, domain joined in case it matters.

I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the weather module not updating, and I see in the logs this error:

Unable to reach Forecast API: cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate (see libcurl - Error Codes)

I’ve gone through

but we are using a self signed certificate for traffic passing through our Palo Alto firewall appliance, and the pem files do not work at all, while our certificate seems to be able to update the weather module once or twice a day. Occasionally it will also present a green background image, with just the date and the weather displayed, but that could be a display issue.

Has anyone else had this issue, or could point me to a way to resolve it? Would adding our cert to the pem package be possible since it’s a signed package?

Thanks!
D

If you’re using your own CA certificate to issue spoofed SSL certs then you need to add that CA cert to the bundle you download from the linked article.

PHP will then trust that certificate as well, and then will accept the spoofed certs.

If it’s able to update sometimes, then it suggests that sometimes traffic isn’t going via your filtering appliance and in those cases is able to communicate correctly.

Hey Alex!

Thanks so much for your response!

I wasn’t aware adding that cert to the pem was a possibility, I will look into that.

Yeah, the network admin has added it full transparent internet connection, and the firewall logs don’t show any blocks but I will look into that again as well.

Thanks again!
D