Howto handle websites with authentication, eg Grafana

Hi All,

We are lookging for a simple signage product for showing important metrics / monitoring. One of the requirements is that it will show Grafana kiosk webpages. The problem is that you need to be authenticated. Using https://:@website.com is not working.

Screenly does support it (by using bearer api tokens). Reading the docs, the required widget does not support it.

Before I take a trial, I would like to know if it’s possible at all. Thanks in advance!

Rodehoed

Hi Rodehoed, thank you for your enquiry about Xibo signage!

Whilst I have not tested Grafana myself, I’m aware that some users have included Grafana dashboards in their layouts. I would recommend testing with a shared/embed link from your panel, as these are designed to be displayed and may help with your authentication issue. Below is a link to the Grafana documentation, which explains how to create a shareable link of your panel/dashboard. You can use the Embedded widget to display the link as an iframe:

You may also find that the webpage widget will display your shared link but this will need to be tested and will depend on the method you use for sharing your Grafana data. I hope your tests are successful and would be interested to hear if the document provided a solution for you.

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the answer. On that page it’s noted that public links are not working anymore on the cloud version of grafana (which we are using). So that’s not working for us :frowning:

Hi Rodehoed. Thanks for the update, I’m sorry to hear the cloud version of Grafana no longer supports public links. Unfortunately you may not be able to create a setup that allows you to display your data without the need to log in each time it displays. I would recommend contacting Grafana, in case they have an alternative solution they offer for their cloud customers.

Many Thanks.

1 Like

I was wondering. The problem might be solved when the widget would support custom HTTP headers. In that case you could specify a Bearer token and the page should be loadable.

On Automatic login by token url · Issue #3752 · grafana/grafana · GitHub there is discussion going on, and most people are nagging because the cannot use Grafana on signage systems.

It might be possible to send additional headers with a web page widget request - can you point out the specific comment which suggests that might solve the probem?

1 Like

Hi,

Well … I tried it with curl:

curl -H "Authorization: Bearer eyJrIjoiZDdWd1hsMzdVQkJMYWlTVHRIjh4enl2Sl==" "https://<instance>.grafana.net/d/xxxxxx/example-screen?orgId=1&kiosk=tv"

And it seems to work actually. I also tried it with a modify-header plugin for Firefix and the page loads (with all the assets) ok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.