Feature Request - passing of login/password and optional port number in rtsp uri - local video

Introduction

Allow extended rtsp stream uri syntax for use in local video on non windows players.

User Story

The syntax for rtsp uri allows for an optional non standard (554) port after the IP address and login and password information to be passed before the IP address.

Typical examples of this syntax are
rtsp://login:password@ipaddress:port/rest-of-command. (login credentials and port)
rtsp://login:password@ipaddress/rest-of-command. (login credentials only - defaults to port 554)
rtsp://ipaddress:port/rest-of-command. ( optional port - instead of port 554)

I’ve previously been using the vlc plugin on the windows client to achieve this. I’d like to move away from window based clients.

If using the above syntax in a local video widget and when using a linux based client the mediaparser rejects the syntax and as a result the whole layout gets rejected.
The Linux Player won’t play that layout at all.

It’s possible other non windows players do the same rejection but I’m not able to test this.

Windows players don’t support rtsp streams in the local video widget - so the above doesn’t apply

CCTV cameras typically require login/password credentials to be passed as part of the uri as leaving cameras open to general viewing without the need for a login/password can be a security issue and some cameras don’t allow this anyway. Not all devices use port 554 by default.

Thanks

Jeremy

For the dev team to fill in:

Status

The current status and the username of the:

• Reporter
  • Drafter
  • Implementer

Implementation

A broad description of the changes required.

Effected Software

Which parts of Xibo are effected

DB Schema Changes

Any necessary DB Schema Changes

Thank you for posting.

This is already supported in Android as detailed in our guide here: Stream CCTV IP Camera in to Xibo for Android

This could potentially be a Linux bug and can certainly log this as an issue to be investigated. Would you be able to provide a suitable stream that we could test with?

Many thanks

Natasha

Hi

Thank you - you’ll need to leave this with me I’m afraid to say, as at the moment I can’t provide a suitable publicly available feed without causing a security risk or putting people in the scene who could claim I’ve breached GDPR.

However the Linux Player should accept the syntax that you/Alex have provided in your Stream CCTV IP Camera in to Xibo for Android link
rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.100:554/ucast/11 for the Sinocam. It’s currently rejecting it.

However please leave it with me, I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks

Jeremy