Cannot publish layout

Hello can someone help with this issue please.

When I try to publish the layout, it’s not transmitting anything on my display.

You will need to provide further information in order for someone to troubleshoot this to see where the issue lies, such as:
What installation method have you used?
What version CMS?
What type and version of player have you tried?
Does the Layout show as Published in the CMS?
Do your Players show as connected in your CMS?

Thank you

Hello,
im not sure what you mean by installation method
Cms version: Version 3.1.2
Xibo player the latest version
yes the layout shows as published
yes the players show as connected

Hi MAU-IT, sorry to hear about your issue.

By installation method Natasha means is your CMS a Docker based installation or custom?

Can you also provide more information about your Xibo player. When you say it is the latest version this does not quite provide all of the information we need. Please go to the Displays menu in your CMS and click the Column Visibility button. Select Version from the option. Please can you tell me what the version information says in that column for your player?

Can you also provide a screenshot of the entry for this player in your CMS on the Displays menu page?

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW

Yes the CMS is a docker base.
Version: windows 3 R304.1-304

Hi MAU-IT, thanks for passing on the info about your setup and the screenshot of the entry for your player.

It looks like your player hasn’t connected to your CMS since 11/8/2022, which is before you created this post. The first thing we need to do is find out why that player is not connecting.
Please can you go to the machine running that player and try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Is the time, date and time zone set correctly on your PC?
  • If you close the player and open a web browser on the PC, can you log into your CMS?
  • While the player and watchdog are closed, open the Xibo player options application. Make sure you have entered the CMS URL and secret correctly. When you click Connect, what message do you see?
  • When you launch the Xibo player again does it start to connect?

Many Thanks.

• Is the time, date and time zone set correctly on your PC? Yes

• If you close the player and open a web browser on the PC, can you log into your CMS? Yes

• While the player and watchdog are closed, open the Xibo player options application. Make sure you have entered the CMS URL and secret correctly. When you click Connect, what message do you see?
    Once I click connect. It says device connected and the player options closes. Is it something normal? Also, CMS URL and secret is correctly entered.

When you launch the Xibo player again does it start to connect? It just shows the XIBO logo, nothing happens When I try to publish something.

Hi MAU_IT, thank you for answering my questions and giving my tests a try. Can you provide:

• A new screenshot of the entry for this player in your CMS, so we can see if the Last Accessed date has updated.
  • A screenshot of the status logs from that player. You can access them by clicking the i key on a connected keyboard while the player is running. Please note that you may need to hold the Ctrl key and press i depending on how your player has been configured.
  • A screenshot of the entry for your layout in your CMS. I’d like to be able to see the Valid and Status columns just in case those are a clue regarding your issue.
  • Can you also make sure that you have a default layout set for your player that is simple, perhaps containing an image or text only.

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW
Sorry for the delay.
There’s a connection issue on the device. Once this is fixed, I’ll provide you the information for the above

1 Like

Hello @DanBW Please find attached the screenshots you asked for

Thank you for your screenshots and my apologies for the delayed reply. I can see three issues:

• The player log states that there is an error swapping to HTTPS. Do you have HTTPS configured for your CMS? If not, please make sure that you do not have Force HTTPS set. There are two places you will find this setting:

Global Setting:

This can be found under the Settings menu in your CMS, on the Network tab.

Player Profile Settings

If you go to the Displays menu in your CMS and click the button at the end of the entry for your player. Choose Edit from the menu. When the Edit Display window opens go to the Profile Settings tab and you will see the Force HTTPS option.

• Your player is not set to authorised so it will not be able to collect changes to its schedule. Please authorise your player by clicking the button at the end of its entry and choose Authorise from the menu.

• Your layouts are not showing as valid but they do appear to be published. Please can you hover your mouse over the X under the Valid? column and confirm what message appears? You should also make sure you have at least one region in your layout and that no regions are empty. Once you have done that, please can you try publishing them again?

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW
I’ve disabled the force HTTPS settings and authorised the display from the edit menu.
It is now publishing. Thank you so much for your help

Fantastic news! Thank you so much for coming back to the post and confirming that the issue is now resolved. All the best setting up your events on your Xibo signage players.

Many Thanks.

Hello again @DanBW
I’m having another issue. I’m trying to publish a layout with 3 regions, but when it’s publishing two of them which contain just an image is publishing correctly but the region which contains a RSS URL (Ticker) is not publishing.

Hi MAU-IT, thanks for the message about your layout.

My apologies but I was unclear on some of the details about your issue. When you say the two image regions publish correctly but the RSS ticker region does not, could you clarify what that means?

When you publish a layout the Status column for that layout will change to Published in the Layouts menu of your CMS. My screenshot below shows two of my recent layouts, one is published while the other is still a draft:

What status does your layout have in your CMS?

Also if you can let me know what is wrong with the RSS region, ideally with images, included that will help to understand your issue.

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW

Here is an example of what im trying to publish.

When i publish the layout just TEST-0 and TEST-2 is appearing my display. Test-1is not publishing.
Test-1 region contains RSS feed

Thank you for your explanation of your issue. I noticed the font for your RSS feed is black. Can you make sure your background colour for your layout is not also black? By default it is black so it might be that the text is there but lost in the background colour. Alternatively you could set the text to a different colour to see if the issue persists.

Many Thanks.

@DanBW Great ! It’s working after changing the background colour.
Also, before when i was publishing a layout it was taking quite long to appear on my display.
Yesterday we updated the CMS and when I tried publishing the layout it instantly appeared on my display. Do you know what may have caused this delay ?

Excellent, thanks for giving that a try!

There’s a couple of possible explanations for that but it may be that your XMR service is working, which communicates changes to your scheduled events almost immediately. If XMR is not working then the player will only know when it connects to your CMS on the collect interval you have configured. By default that is every 5 minutes.
It could also be that XMR is not configured and it just so happened that your player connected to your CMS at the collect interval time, which was shortly after you made the layout changes and published the layout to finalise them.
You can check if your XMR service is working by going to the Displays menu in your CMS, then click the button at the end of the entry for your display and choose Request Screenshot. If the screenshot is returned immediately when you refresh the page then XMR is working. If it returns but has the same time stamp as the Last Accessed column then it is returning on the collect interval instead.

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW
IM HERE AGAIN :smile:

I’m trying to publish a powerpoint but no luck with that. Can you please help ?