Xibo Player freezes when no WAN connection

Hi Community,

I have a layout that has 4 web page contents, but when WAN connection drops while displaying this layout, it is frozen, no longer displays the web page content. The layout appears only background.

In the error log, it appears that the player could not resolve the DNS name from which the web pages are hosted. The solution right now is to restart the player.

This may be a bug? In the display profile configuration, the setting for “default duration of empty layouts” is set to 7.

Xibo Server version 1.7.4 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Display: Windows 7 SP1 x32 with Xibo Player version 1.7.3.

The Watchdog works in this case?

Please help.

Sorry for my English.

Best Regards,

If there is no connection to those webservers then you’re right the Player won’t be able to show the content. It should however recover once the connection is available again.

Is that not happening?

Hi Alex,

Yes, that is not happening.

The layout stays stopped when WAN connection is back again.

My web pages are .php extensions.

The player stays this state more than 30 minutes and nothing happened.

How I can see more details about this? Pressing “I” on the screen?

Sorry for my English.

Best Regards,

Just wanted to confirm I’m having the exact issue since 1.6 two windows players.

The workaround for me was a scheduled task to stop and start the player on intervals throughout the day.

I created a thread months back but was never resolved.

Yes press i on the screen

I’m sorry we missed your thread. It’s near impossible to support every issue for everyone at no charge.

You are of course welcome to bump the thread.

Can someone who sees this issue check the following scenario too please.

Create a webpage media type with the URL

http://invalid.xibo.org.uk

What happens in that case? Is it the same behaviour as if there’s no WAN connection?

Hey Alex,
My apologies if it seemed like I was complaining, I was only pointing out I’ve reported the same issue. I truly appreciate the work you all do.
The thread was on your old forum and I never ported it to the community.

Mike

No worries Mike.

We’d like to address this though. Are you able to check that for me?

Alex

Unfortunately this isn’t going to get addressed without some help from those saying they have this issue…

Create a webpage media type with the URL
http://invalid.xibo.org.uk
What happens in that case? Is it the same behaviour as if there’s no WAN connection?

Only the black background appears. It freezes nothing.

So if you add an image in the timeline after the webpage the image is never shown?

If that is the case, can you please export the layout and upload it somewhere so I can add it as a reproduction to a bug report.

Thanks for your help with this :smile:

So if you add an image in the timeline after the webpage the image is never shown?

the image is shown

it plays alternately for 10 seconds each.

webpage (black screen) 10 sec.
image 10 sec.
image 10 sec.
image 10 sec.
etc.

In which case it’s working exactly as it should. The webpage is blank because it’s not a valid URL. At the end of the 10 seconds, it moves to the next media item.

now I have the problem, after I have switched from CEF to IE

the image is no longer displayed, only black screen - or white screen when background is white.

Excellent. Could you export the layout then please and I’ve logged it as a bug here:

www.stoffzeit.biz/tmp/export_wan.zip

1 Like

Dan has posted a patch for this on the attached bug for anyone affected to test with.

Please can someone with this problem confirm the fix works for them?

@kernelbadness @hhan @mamoraes