Windows players losing the CMS connection

Hi guys!
any ideas why windows players are losing connection to CMS?
It happens sometimes so,

• Player stops login to the CMS
  • I login to player and check the connection
  • There i see the CMS address field is replaced with “Localhost” and key also is gone.

I know it is some kind of crash but why it is happening and how do i prevent it?

Thanks!

Can you confirm the following:

• What version of the Xibo for Windows player are you using?
  • What version of Windows is the Player installed on?
  • What account type is the Player installed under?
  • Is the Windows device being used for any other tasks/applications?

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,
thanks for the response :slight_smile:
1.8.11 is the version of both player and CMS
Windows 10 pro
Administrator account

Player is not used for anything else.

There is not currently a version 1.8.11 Xibo for Windows Player. Could you check again please? You can find the version of the Player by logging into your CMS, select the Displays option and view the Version column for the Display. You may need to select the Column Visibility button first to allow the Version Column to appear.

This is an issue I have heard other Users have experienced, however I have not been able to replicate it so far. How often is this happening with your Players?

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,
My apologies, the player is 1.8.10 and CMS is 1.8.11

No,
this is not happening every day, it is very a random issue and does not happen on same player either.
It would be great to know why it happens.

Thank you for confirming the version.

Can you continue to keep me posted and inform me if this happens again? I would recommend making notes of any system changes or updates on your Displays in case this helps to explain the issue.

Also, if it should happen again, can you check the following locations:

C:\users\<The User with Xibo player installed>\Appdata\Roaming\- There should be an XML file at this location named XiboClient. If you open it with a text editor, does it contain the correct CMS information?

Also check your Xibo Library folder and look for a file named hardwarekey. If you open it with a text editor, does it contain the hardware key for the Player?

Many Thanks.

Thank you! :slight_smile:
I will report at next time.

We have had the same issues with a 100 player network, a few players lose CMS configuration every once in a while. We will document next time and submit on this post.

Thanks Marcelo!
Very good to know!

Hi,
I had this Problem too a few month ago. After loosing the Connection to the cms, the XML-file was empty, but existing.
My solution was to Keep a valid XML-file for each Player to make a quick recovery if needed.

This time the Problem never Comes again after some updates of MS and changing the Player Hardware (the Problem was not the reason to Change the Hardware)

1 Like

I am using v. 1.8.6. We just detected a player that lost connection.
File “hardwarekey” and “XiboClient” were empty. Do you recommend updating to a newer Xibo version? Also, we could install a executable that constantly checks these two files and if empty, will rewrite with backup file. Please let me know if this would solve the issue and if the reading/writing of these files by an external executable would cause issues with the player software.

Thanks

Thank you for letting me know that you have experienced this issue.

I would recommend upgrading the Player to the latest version, which is currently 1.8.10-132. You can upgrade the Player by downloading the msi file from the below link, copying it onto the device and double clicking to begin the upgrade process. You do not need to uninstall the version you are currently running.

I am currently looking for more information regarding Players experiencing this issue. Can you answer the following questions:

• What version of Windows are you running?
  • Is Windows up to date?
  • Has your OS updated recently?
  • Are you using the PC to run any other software/services?

If you have any Logs for the Display in your CMS that show any errors around the time that the Display lost connection, please pass them on. Could you also confirm how long the Display had not been connected for and whether anything was changed/modified/added on the PC around this time?

Many Thanks

Got same issue. Maybe you can merge with my post https://community.xibo.org.uk/t/10-players-lost-all-settings-same-time/15838/4https://community.xibo.org.uk/t/10-players-lost-all-settings-same-time/15838/4
Player Version: windows 1.8.8-131
Cms Version: 1.8.11
Player Windows Version: W10/W8.1
Cms Os: Windows/Docker

Got same issue many times randomly. One time happened all the players, at the same time.
Thanks
Michael.

Thank you for letting me know you are also experiencing this issue and for providing the details of your setup.

The version of the Xibo for Windows Player you are running is not up to date, I would first recommend upgrading to the Latest version, which is now 1.8.12-133, which you can download from the below link:

If you have any other notes regarding your setup around the time that the settings were lost, please feel free to pass them on. For example, you mentioned that all of your Players lost their settings at the same time. Do you know if any tasks/maintenance was being carried out on the Player devices at the time they all lost their settings?

Many Thanks.

Hello Mr.Dan,
Still having the same problem, I write again, it the following post. If you want you can merge.

Thanks for your help, waiting for your help,
Best
Michael.