Upgrade from 1.7.3 to newest installation

I’m planning on building a new environment for the 1.8.X installation; however, I have about 800 endpoints with the client version 1.7.3 installed and in production. Does this client work with the new 1.8 environments or will I need to upgrade all of those clients? Is there a way now to do a silent install and configuration for all users on the endpoint instead of having to setup every user profile on an individual endpoint to use the “screensaver” feature?

Assuming you upgrade the CMS in-place (ie it remains at the same URL and the existing database is upgraded - first to 1.7.10 and then to 1.8.10) then the existing Players will continue to connect to the CMS.

You won’t be able to register any new 1.7 series Players against a 1.8 series CMS.

They will then operate in a compatibility mode, and the CMS will do its best to send down compatible layouts, but some layouts may not run properly, especially where you use any of the new features in 1.8.

It’s really designed to give you a short time window in which to complete the upgrades rather than a long-term solution.

You can certainly do a silent install of the Player application. It’s an MSI and supports the standard MSI silent install switches. The installer doesn’t install the screensaver. You would need to install that manually for each user. Similarly, the configuration is per Windows user account.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

With an installation of that size, I’d recommend you do a test upgrade first to ensure everything works as you expect before rolling the live install up.