Uninstallation of Xibo-Player-1.8.-alpha (Win10) does not clean C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming properly

As I was testing temple I switched to the new player and uninstalled the stable one. That kind of worked and everything seemed to be fine.

After testing enough and checking the features out I switched back to the stable ones (uninstalled the alpha-one and installed the stable once again).

When launching the player options an error-message was showing that xml in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming was not working properly. It might not be removed by the uninstallation of the alpha-player, so I had to remove it manually.

After removing the file, everything worked again.

In my experience, uninstalling an application won’t remove user data from AppData - not least because if the user that data belongs to isn’t logged in then it may not even be on the local machine, but in a roaming profile stored on a central server somewhere.

In general, we keep things compatible going forwards but backward compatibility for configuration etc isn’t always possible. As you’ve found, simply deleting those files is sufficient if downgrading.

1 Like

Some of the configuration properties have changed in a significant enough manner to cause an issue - as a result downgrade will not be a supported path, without manually deleting those files.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer, it is not a serious prob at all.
just thought it was worth mentioning :wink:

1 Like