Ticker Timing Trouble

Our agenda layout display timing changed after we upgraded Xibo CMS from 1.8.2 to 1.8.5.

The CMS Docker images run on Ubuntu 16.04. Testing shows that the timing problem is identical for Xibo clients 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 running on Windows 7 or Windows 10.

We developed the agenda layout with Xibo CMS 1.8.2. The layout contains a ticker that displays events from a dataset. The ticker shows four events per page. Duration is 10 seconds per item with a fade transition. This photo shows the layout:

On days with more than four events, Xibo 1.8.2 agenda layout would display the first four for 10 seconds, then fade to the next four, which displayed for another 10 seconds. On rare days with more than eight events, the display would fade to show a third page for another 10 seconds.

Since upgrading to Xibo 1.8.5, the agenda layout displays the first four events for 10 seconds, fades to the second four, and immediately ends. People have no time to read the second page. The same timing change is apparent in other layouts, such as tomorrow’s events. The layouts were not edited in Xibo 1.8.5.

The exported layout and sample data are at

How can we restore the ticker display timing we had with Xibo 1.8.2?

I’ve imported your layout and note that you’re relying on the default duration for the ticker module instead of providing a duration manually - I wonder if this might be the issue? Can you check and see if the default duration for the ticker is set to 10 as you expect?

It may also be that the module files were not verified successfully during the upgrade - can you please go to Modules -> Verify.

Your imported layout does appear to work on a test CMS I have here, although I will admit that the second page gets shown for about 8 seconds rather than 10.

Thanks, Dan.

Modules verified successfully.

The ticker module default duration was 5. I updated it to 10.

In the agenda layout, the ticker duration is 10. I tried changing it to 11.

Neither change improved the brief display of agenda page two. Oddly, the layout preview in my Firefox web browser displays properly, with both pages about 10 seconds.

Something must be different in the Xibo Windows client.

It should be playing exactly the same rendered HTML as the preview - so that is odd indeed. Did you wait for the Display status to update to a Tick before you tested? After verifying the module files it would have to download any changes at its next collection interval (or via push message if you have XMR).

As a final attempt, can you try to repull the docker containers - docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d, just to be 100% sure you’re on the latest code.

Thanks again, Dan.

I realized today that we had upgraded on January 28, a day before Xibo 1.8.5 was released. We were running Xibo 1.8.4.

After upgrading to the current Xibo 1.8.5, the layouts resumed the expected timing for the second page.

Case closed!

1 Like