"There is an error with this Layout: Empty Region"

I’ve installed Xibo 2 over Docker (2.0.3 from apt on Ubuntu 18.04.2LTS, over VirtualBox 6 on Windows 10 Pro ), and attached an Android STB with the Android client in trial mode (though that’s not yet germane).

It will display the Test Layout, and let me modify it to a copy and display that as well.

But when I try to create a production layout, using one of the layout backgrounds from the contribution collection, and putting 4 regions on it, and then Publishing it, I get the error message in the title, in a red toaster message which doesn’t tell me which region it doesn’t like, and I see no way to figure it out.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2680yslhtdl6gsr/Screenshot%202019-07-13%2017.29.29.png

I noted that the playlists were 10 seconds long by default, and my “eyebrow” text ticker and clock widgets only 5, but filling those out to 10 seconds with additional widgets doesn’t help.

Adding text to the text widget, my other semi-edumacated guess, didn’t help either.

I’m hoping – a lot – that the problem isn’t that the playlists don’t have any contents…

Any suggestions where I should be looking (besides the manual) to figure out which region the layout designer isn’t happy with?

And, based on some things I saw in older forum post not otherwise germane, isn’t it supposed to let me save out of the designer even if the layout is broken, as a policy choice?

I’ve poked around some more on this, but no particular luck on what it doesn’t like.

Is the Layout Designer going to log errors like that somewhere?

That’s actually most likely why you see this message, if there are no widgets on the playlist you’ve assigned to the subplaylist widget, then as far as CMS is concerned that region is empty and therefore the layout is invalid.

You will want to add at least one widget to each playlist, then save the widgets in Layout Designer and you will be able to publish the layout - you can then add/edit widgets to the playlist on Playlists page, without the need to checkout/publish your layout.

Your draft layout is saved, it just won’t let you publish it, as it is invalid and players would not display it in that state.

There seems no way to exit the designer without dumping the layout – you seem to be telling me that Cancelling will in fact leave the current edits saved?

And on the former topic, if I’m understanding correctly, that’s going to play hell with my work flow, which depends on separating the management of content from all the other details of running the system.

Adding images and text messages is an operational task, done by people who are not sophisticated in the system. I want them to be able to just put them in the Library, tagged appropriately, and be done.

Designing layouts and doing dayparting, scheduling, and campaigns, are tasks for people who are sophisticated, both in Xibo. and in design.

it’s important to me to be able to maintain that dichotomy, and it sounds as if it might be difficult.

Am I misunderstanding something important?

On a separate issue:

RFE: Error messages need to identify precisely which object they’re complaining about the status of.