Screens go dark overnight

Update: At about 2hrs 35 mins after the start of the test, the system went to the Ubuntu login screen, indicating the player finally crashed.

Thanks for this.

What mix of content are you showing? I’m guessing Video if your memory usage is rising that high/quickly?

We have a r41 released to edge to try when you get some time please - we’re exploring whether the issue is in the build process and have made changes to that

We think we might have a fix for these memory leaks - there is a r42 in edge to try out please.

@dan Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears the leak still exists with r42. We started it just under an hour ago and it’s already gone from 2223500 Virt/315264 Res to 2841080 Virt/977GB Res.

To answer your previous question: the test Region consists of 3 items: 2 are static graphics (PNG/JPG) and one is a video (MP4).

We’ll keep it running to see how long it takes to max out. Please let me know if I can do anything further.

No problem - thanks for the feedback all the same. We will continue to chip away at it!

Just to keep you in the loop here, we’ve been experimenting with Gsreamer 1.16 (Ubuntu 18:04 has 1.14) and it seems better for memory leaks.

Gstreamer as a project are fixing leaks all the time, so taking the newest version is a good idea.

Unfortunately there isn’t a package for it and we’d need to build it from source - we’re working on that.

Fantastic! Happy to test as soon as you’re ready.

1 Like

Hi guys,
i have/had the same issue with my test-system.
i’m running opensuse leap 15.1 kde (default setup, no special modifications).
but since i added the leap 15.2 repository and changed the kernel-default from 4.x to version 5.3.18-lp152.1.4 and gstreamer to version 1.12.5-lp152.3.4 the system runs stable, ram and swap don’t run into 100%
snapd 2.43.2-lp151.1.1
xibo-player 1.8-R4 Rev37

maybe you want to try this on an ubunutu system

Thanks for your feedback - we’ve also had some success with building a newer gstreamer than what we were using already.

Hopefully an update on that soon :crossed_fingers:

Hi, guys!
I’m try running Ubuntu 19.10 with gstreamer 1.16.1-1, Ubuntu 18.04.3 with gstreamer 1.14.xxx, Ubuntu 16.04 with gstreamer 1.8.3-1. I’m tried xibo: 1.8-R4 37, 1.8-R4 40, 1.8-R4 42.
A memory leak is everywhere. It’s so sad. What is the temporary solution to the problem? Maybe use version 1.8-R3?

Only the version of Xibo matters as it is a snap and brings its own dependencies - unfortuately we don’t have a solution yet, but we are working on it.

Best thing is to sit tight and keep an eye on this topic for an update.

Hi!
Are there any changes?
Now i have to do a restart from crontab, to free memory, it is very inconvenient.

We don’t have anything to release yet - it is a really hard problem to solve. I’ll update all of these topics when I have news. Thanks.

Hello, could this be a reason for you to stop xibo-linux player ?

Do you mean for us to stop developing it?

No that is not our plan - we will work to solve the problem and release a stable player.

2 Likes

That’s excellent news - thanks, Dan, for maintaining a commitment to it. Windows, as an OS, has become such an unreliable mess in the digital signage world. So we’re eagerly awaiting the Linux capability and will do anything to help you with it! Thanks for all you do.

2 Likes

Yes.

Ok. Thank you Dan for your reply. I will keep an eye on this topic.

1 Like

Please take a look and feedback on this topic: Xibo for Linux Revision 46 in Beta.

1 Like

I will confirm tomorrow but no more memory leak for me. Thank you for this update.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.