Resolution changes when people alter source

Dear all,

I was wondering if the watchdog can check the resolution of the xibo player window?

Xibo server Version 1.8.9 / client version 1.8.10
What we see happening on occasions:

• The tv screen we use (Samsung Smart tv 7th generation) has 2 HDMI inputs
    Input 1 = a windows 10 device with the xibo plauer
    Input 2 = a remote streaming device for presentations etc…

When people switch from input 2 back to input 1 (after given a presentation) the resolution of the Xibo player window is not full size anymore but partial.

So to confirm:

• The resolution from the windows 10 player device = OK
  • The resolution from the xibo player application switched from full screen to windowed mode.

The only solution I have I to restarted the player remotely or to let somebody reboot the device.

Perhaps somebody else has a suggestion or solution for this problem?

THanks
Kristof

Thank you for the detailed information regarding the issue. If Windows does not detect a connected screen, it will default onto another configuration, which can cause the resolution change you are seeing.

To resolve the issue, open Regedit on the Windows device and navigate to the below directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

You should see a number of entries here but you are looking for the entries named SIMULATED or NOEDID. You will need to ensure that the below entries are changed to the correct resolution for your screen:

00\PrimSurfSize.cx
00\PrimSurfSize.cy
00\00\PrimSurfSize.cx
00\00\PrimSurfSize.cy
00\00\ActiveSize.cx
00\00\ActiveSize.cy

You can access the above directories by double clicking on the SIMULATED or NOEDID folders to reveal the 00 directories. Clicking on the 00 folder will also reveal the 00/00 directories.

The elements ending in cx are the resolution of the width of the screen, cy is the resolution of the height. You will need to right click on the mentioned elements and select Modify. Please make sure the Decimal Base is checked, not the Hexadecimal when you set the resolution. Once you have changed the above values, restart the Player.

If the issue persists after you have changed these values, please let me know.

Many Thanks.

Thanks Dan,

I will check it and report back :wink:

Kristof

Van Genechten Packaging - ICT

Kristof Van Den Ouweland

Information & Communication Technology

TEL: +32 14 403 812

E-mail: kvandenouweland@vangenechten.com

Hi Dan,

Just to confirm that this is working ok and since th change we didn’t see the res change anymore.

Kind regards
Kristof

Excellent news! If the issue should return, please let me know.

Many Thanks.

Dear Dan,

Unfortunatly It seems the problem is reoccuring again so I would like to reopen this ticket.
Perhaps another thought?

Kristof

Dear Dan,

Do you perhaps have any other suggestions for us?

Thanks
Kristof

I’m sorry to hear that the issue has returned.

Can you confirm that the 6 modified Registry values are all still correctly set?

In a previous message, you mentioned that you are using Player version 1.8.10. The latest version is 1.8.10-132, if you are not using the latest version, I would recommend upgrading the Xibo Player.

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,

Yes I can indeed confirm the registry changes (just doublechecked).
Regarding the client, I will see which version it is and make the update if possible.

But just as a side note: would it be possible to implement this in the client as a ‘check’ every minute. Since it is based on .Net one could easly trigger this and reset the layout size to the max size.

The Xibo for Windows Player listens for resolution changes and adjusts accordingly already. This resolution check works with the latest version of Xibo for Windows, which is why I would recommend making sure that the Player is up to date.

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,

To confirm - Yes the version is the client which is from the website from 2 days ago. So if that didn’t change, it is the latest.

Kristof

FYI
Here are some additional screenshots indicating that the settings are ok:

Cheers
Kristof

The Development team has been looking into the issue with the shrinking screen. Below is a link to the Bug report, which also includes a commit for the issue.

https://github.com/xibosignage/xibo/issues/1689

Many Thanks.

Thank you Dan for the information. We will closely follow up.

Cheers
Kristof