Refresh my layout dynamically

Hi ,
I have a layout which has been mapped to dataset(price column) , when data set is changed , it does not change the layout instantly , we have to launch our app manually again. The prices do change after the duration is over , but i want instant change in price.

Please provide your CMS version and your settings for the layout/dataset.

From the manual at DataSets | Xibo Digital Signage

Remote DataSets are a special type of DataSet which will periodically sync from a 3rd party data source. Xibo will call the URL at a chosen time period and parse the data according to instructions set on the DataSet record and any Columns that have been defined as Remote.

also

The fetch remote DataSet task is run hourly by default. Remote DataSets are intended for data which updates infrequently and not in real time.

For realtime updates / connections via a socket you have to wait for the next update

2 Likes

Thanks @Schweminska for your response , let me reframe my query again . So we are already updating our dataset using xibo API (/dataset) but what my requirement is as soon as dataset is changed it should be visible on my layout dynamically , the layout which is deployed on my device. Currently it only updates when the duration gets over , which is not a good user experience. The whole screen flickers and then the price gets updated . My device would be in ON state , and duration for layout would be like 24 hours (86400 secs) . I want that changed data set to reflect on the display even if the duration hasnt been over. Can we use XMR for this purpose or anything else ?

CMS version :-

Xibo Digital Signage - xibosignage.com. Version 3.3.5

Data cannot be updated instantly. Otherwise there would be too much network traffic.
I recommend one of the following issue:

• Reduce your layout time
  • Request updates with the API

What occurs when you trigger a ‘collect now’ action on the players immediately after new data has been ingested via the API? The layout should seamlessly refresh with the most recent data…

Addressing the screen flickering concern you highlighted:

Ideally, only a brief black screen should be displayed during the layout transition. I presume the issue may be more related to the transition/flickering?

For your particular scenario, incorporating an Interactive Action or leveraging the Ticker Module (e.g. this tutorial) could enhance the functionality you’ve already implemented.

• After your DataSet was updated, consider transitioning to a duplicate layout containing the new data (merely switching to the same layout should suffice) utilizing a Webhook and Trigger Command.
  • Alternatively, you could opt to display an Overlay Layout to mitigate the flickering until it’s fully resolved.

Even though it’s a bit rudimentary, I hope this helps :grinning:. It’s challenging for me to grasp what exactly the flickering entails. In theory, a layout change should suffice and function smoothly without any issues.