Recovering Layouts and Secret key

Hi

So we had a bit of a boo bbo today and our xibo server deiced to die (running on DSM as a vm in proxmox).

We cant get it to boot up any longer. We didn’t have a backup of it so we have decided to setup a fresh in stall using Ubuntu. The question I have is:

Is it possible to get the layout from the clients?
Is it possible to recover the secret key from the remote clients and set this up on the new CMS. If this is possible would the clients be able to just carry on using this, by authorizing the display on the new CMS?

(Yeah I know we should have had a backup, we thought we had but the lat time the “Auto backup” worked was last Febuary…) Lesson learnt.

You can open the Player settings on one of the Players to get the key.

If you setup a new CMS at the same URL with the same key, the existing Players will register with it without you doing anything to them.

You can’t easily recover the content from the Players. You can copy the media items from the Player library, but there’s no easy way to import the layouts again.

The Players will continue to show cached content until you authorise them on a new CMS, at which point they’ll download whatever that CMS says they should and start showing that instead.

Alex Thanks thats what I was hoping for. Do you think it would be possible to get the media remotely from an Android client (DSD9)

No I don’t think so.

You’d need to connect a USB stick or similar and use a file manager that can get access as root to browse the file system.

You’ll find your data in /data/data/Android/uk.org.xibo.client from memory

cheers looks like a road trip tomorrow then.

Did manage to get the key from a device but getting connection error when I try to connect it http 500…

I’ll keep trying.

Thanks for you help

HI Alex just to add to this from a windows client Im getting:

The request failed with the error message:

There has been an unknown error with XMDS, it has been logged. Please contact your administrator.

Sounds like the CMS isn’t setup correctly. The key must match both sides. If it’s not that then you’ll need to revisit your set-up and figure out what is wrong with it.

Do you have TeamViewer setup on the Android Player? If you do you could use that to get the files I suspect

keys the same both sides. I have not done anything with XMR at the moment but I dont think I ever did to be honest on the original one. The CMS is running on a docker on Ubuntu and is the latest 1.8.12

just to add to this I cant get any of the previous displays to connect at all. The secret key is correct Ive a lot of these entries in the log on the CMS
95abaeb 2019-02-14 19:35 XMDS POST ERROR RegisterDisplay SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘display.version_instructions’ in ‘field list’

Hi Alex

Just to let you know I reinstalled everything fresh using 1.8.10 and a fresh ubuntu server and the displays registered fine. Just got to sort the layouts out now.

1 Like