Need help changing SMTP settings for Xibo after deploying to Docker

I just deployed Xibo 1.8.9 on Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 using docker. I originally missed the step to modify the “config.env” shown here (https://xibo.org.uk/docs/setup/xibo-with-docker-ubuntu-16-04). I just tried making the changes to the “/opt/xibo/config.env” then re-running the command “docker-compose up -d”. But email does not work still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please note I am just learning linux so I might need better details on how to do something.
Thank you all!

You need to update your config.env file, then:

docker-compose down
docker-compose up -d

That will recreate the containers and apply your change.

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your response. I did try that but it is still not working. I have installed “Portainer” now to help manage Docker, now I can even see the “ENV” info for the three Containers for xibo, and I can see on the CMS-WEB one the following.

CMS_SMTP_USE_TLS YES
CMS_SMTP_PASSWORD xxxxxxxx
CMS_SMTP_USE_STARTTLS YES
CMS_SMTP_FROM_LINE_OVERRIDE YES
CMS_SMTP_USERNAME my.email@gmail.com
CMS_SMTP_REWRITE_DOMAIN gmail.com
XMR_HOST cms-xmr
CMS_SERVER_NAME my.domain.com
CMS_SMTP_SERVER smtp.gmail.com:587
CMS_SMTP_HOSTNAME gmail.com

But still no success, I have tried using the “Add notification” to send emails too. I monitor my gmail.com mailbox I am using and I see nothing in sent items either.

Just changing the environment variables won’t set that configuration. You must down/up the containers as well for them to take effect.

Did you follow the instructions in the config.env file and enable “less secure” access in your GMail account?

1 Like

Thank you Alex, I completely missed the notes to create the gmail app password. That is what fixed it thank you again.