Media expiration within Layout?

Hello Xibo Team,

I have a special request from one of our clients.

They have their own images for marketing purposes, which is at the moment 1 image in Layout A. That layout is scheduled from 10 - 16th of October.

Also there is a Layout B which has media (6 movies) that are always running and have no expiration date.

The scheduler plays Layout A and then Layout B.

We used another software before where each media could have their own expiry date. Now I have to make expiring dates in the scheduler.

The client wants it now to play like this:
Image from Layout A, movie from Layout B, image from Layout A, another movie from Layout B and so on.

I could make one layout and manually delete the images but if that date is a sunday or holiday no one will delete it because we don’t work on those days.

Is there a possibility to make one big layout with expiry dates for media files?

I hope I explained it intelligible enough.

Best regards,
Melanie

It should be possible to achieve that with fully implemented playlists in 2.0 release - Playlists Blueprint

In 1.8 you’d need to manipulate the layout manually and/or adjust the schedule times as needed.

You would indeed need that on one layout, as otherwise player will fully show layout A then B and so on.

We use Datasets or Ticker with Datasets for non-video media such as text on image or plain images. This works great for managing your schedule (From/To Date/Time) either via CSV upload or in Xibo itself.

Doing this on a Playlist level (Video A = Playlist A, Video B = Playlist B) and then scheduling the playlists would also be an option, but adds extra time between Playlist transitions and can quickly become hard to manage if you have a lot of content.

For Video we use a Task Management Software like Freedcamp/Asana/Google Calender to send a reminder when a Video needs to be replaced or removed. This can be a pain if for example this needs to be done on Sunday…

Hope that helps. It is not ideal, but works for us. We are really looking forward to the future Playlist improvements though.