Linux Player - Technology Preview 0.2.1-a

We're very excited to be releasing today a "Technology Preview" of our forthcoming Player for Linux.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.xibo.org.uk/linux-player-technology-preview-0-2a/
2 Likes

SO excited for thisā€¦! Thank you for making it happen so quckly.

1 Like

Run perfectly!
We are very happy and the result of this preview was very gratifying.

1 Like

ā€œ./Player: error while loading shared libraries: libgeoclue.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryā€ on Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) 64-bit. gstreamer1.0-libav installed at latest version (1.12.2-1).

Weā€™ve not provided or built binaries for Ubuntu 17.10. For now weā€™re just after feedback on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit please.

Just tried the player on a Minix x7. Canā€™t wait for this! I just need to figure out how to use a screensaver the same way we did on the Windows player. Perfect touch screen setup!

Works well for me too. Iā€™ve only tested so far in a VM though. Iā€™ll try some of my layouts when time allows

1 Like

We are so exited to hear about this.

I just tested it on ubuntu 16.04, a fresh install. The following errors occured:

• The video did not play due to a missing codec (everything else worked)
  • The rss sample just showed a black screen (without any errors visible on the console)
  • The unicode sample said it canā€™t show the URL

Did you give the full path to the samples directory? The errors you mention imply perhaps you didnā€™t.

Thanks for your reply, I did not. I will do another testrun in the next few days.

1 Like

Loving Xibo! Thanks for all of your hard work team! When I get some money I will absolutely donate to the cause.

Linux Player running smoothly on my 16.04LTS 64bit - i3-3110M Quad 2.4GHz 4GB Laptop.

Iā€™m getting very excited about the progress!
Any idea of a rollout date yet or is it still too early?

Best Regards,
ReadySign

Thanks for your feedback. When we have any more information about development weā€™ll make another announcement.

Hi Alex,

Everything fine with sample Layouts but After copying windows player content to sample directory to check with my layout iā€™m getting below error while running player:

./Player --example-dir=/home/amit/Downloads/1st/XiboLinux-0.2a/samples/inpdigitalclient1.7.10/
[13:43:36] [info]: Example directory is /home/amit/Downloads/1st/XiboLinux-0.2a/samples/inpdigitalclient1.7.10/
[13:43:36] [debug]: parse layout
[13:43:36] [debug]: parse region
terminate called after throwing an instance of ā€˜boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injectorboost::property_tree::ptree_bad_path >ā€™
what(): No such node (options)
Aborted (core dumped)

Regards,
Amit

Was the layout taken from a 1.7 or 1.8 series Player please? Your path suggests it might be from 1.7, in which case it wouldā€™t be supported.

Hi XIbo friends,

Any thoughts on ETA for the Linux Player? Microsoft has made the lives of digital signage operators completely miserable with Windows 10. Weā€™re really excited to start using Ubuntu with Xiboā€¦!

Cheers

We donā€™t have a date to announce. Weā€™ll have another preview coming soon though.

The next Development Preview is now available:

Hello
Is it possible to use counter with this linux player like we used to?
I stil have a server with old specs with counter running.
Thanks!

I guess not as this player canā€™t connect to the old CMS verison that supported the Counterā€¦ Thanks anyway

1 Like