Linux Player - Requirements and problems

Hi,

I have had a 1.8 Server setup for a few months with 2-3 windows displays connected without issue. I’d like to use the Linux player to avoid Windows licensing requirements so am trying to get it working. I’ve looked for information but can’t seem to find it, so sorry if it’s out there and I haven’t noticed it.

I tried installing a Centos minimal install, with Snap and installed Xibo but it just complained giving “gnome” errors, so I installed x windows and a minimal gnome desktop but it still didn’t work correctly.

Instead I installed the 18.04 LTS Ubuntu and installed the player from the snap store. Populated the options and the player loaded but just displayed the Xibo logo. The display was authorised, player closed, but when I restarted it I just got errors.

I updated to 18.10, but the same issue happened and I am now just updating to 19.04 to see if the problem still continues.

I ran the command:
xibo-player --host x.x.x.x --server-key 1234567 --hardware-key ####################
and received the following error…

[13:26:56.154] [006801] [debug]: Player settings updated
[13:26:56.160] [007000] [debug]: Collection started
[13:26:56.170] [007000] [debug]: Scheme: 0 HostType: 1 Host: x.x.x.x Port: 80 Target: /xmds.php?v=5
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injectorboost::property_tree::ptree_bad_path >’
what(): No such node (collectInterval)

My questions:

1. Can Xibo-player run on linux without a desktop installed?

2. If a desktop is required, does it have to be gnome?

3. Are there any per-requisites that need to be installed with it?

4. does it have to run under sudo?

5. Any idea what my current problem is?

I don’t use Linux day to day so I’m not that familiar with the folder structure and fault finding. Any dummies guidance would be great?

Thanks in advance

I had this problem as well, the way you fix it is by following this process on your cms as the cms by default doesn’t support the linux player

1. Can Xibo-player run on linux without a desktop installed?

No

1. If a desktop is required, does it have to be gnome?

I would suggest using Ubuntu 18.04 as that is most tested, but I’ve also run it on lubuntu and xbuntu which don’t have Gnome Shell, so I don’t think it’s a requirement.

1. Are there any per-requisites that need to be installed with it?

No

1. does it have to run under sudo?

It won’t work if you try and run it with sudo. You must run it as the user you’re logged in to the desktop as.

1. Any idea what my current problem is?

You shouldn’t be passing parameters in. You should put your configuration in to the player options screen, and then run the Player from the application launcher. Leave the library location field empty to use the default. Ensure you clear the Player cache on your CMS.

You’ll need to ensure the CMS you’re using has the correct profile for a Linux Player. It won’t work with CMS instances that pre-date that being in the Display Profile section.