Layouts missing after docker and windows update

Hello I have been handed over an Xibo project which has been running since august 2017. I have almost no documentation on how it it configured since the guy who configured it hasn’t been arround for a long time. I logged into the system and got notifications on windows updates and docker updates. Installed them and rebooted. Now I no longer have the layouts used for display. I have tried to run the following in cmd and as powershell but still only got the default layout and not those configured with content.

cd c:\Xibo
docker-compose stop
docker-compose start

The system is running running xibo 1.8.2 on windows 10 pro 1709 (Docker Version 17.12.0-ce-win47 (15139))

One thing I noticed was the files in c:\Xibo have not been updated since August 2017. I suspected that the c drive wasn’t mapped correctly, so I disabled windows firewall and antivirus and added the drive as a shared drive in docker could that be the reason?

Any idea on how I get my layouts back and get the system to update data c:\Xibo again?
Thanks

If the files in c:\xibo\shared haven’t been updated since August then there’s a good chance that data is lost.

It would have existed inside the CMS and db containers only, and potentially the docker update recreated those.

I’m happy to have a look via TeamViewer if you like and see if I can unpick it. Please PM me TeamViewer QuickSupport credentials.

that would be much appreciated. How do I send you a PM? Not sure I can do that as a new user.

You need to read a few more threads to level up in the system, and then you can simply click on my name, and then “message” to send a message.

Reset docker completely. Remapped drive, and corrected Windows filesystem permissions (so the user Docker maps as had full control over the CMS data directories), and that resolved it.

1 Like

Can you explain more specific what you did. After a reboot (required by windows for update) I have the same problem. I have reset docker to defaults. Remapped drive in docker. Im not sure how and where to correct Windows filesystem permissions. From what I see it should have full access.

This seems to happen everytime I update windows and restart the server and the two clients. Is there something I have to be aware of when I update and reboot? Any specific order? closing Docker first etc?

The user Docker is running as needs Full Control to the “shared” directory. You can just grant to Authenticated Users if that’s easier.

It will happen on every reboot, as noted in the manual. In most cases, simply stopping and starting the container is all that is required to resolve. I suspect in this case it’s something in the Windows update that has caused the reset to be required.

Yes thank you. It is a shame Docker is so buggy. Managed to get it working again by first running

docker-compose up
If (!($psISE)){“Press any key to continue…”;[void][System.Console]::ReadKey($true)}

and then

docker-compose stop
docker-compose start
If (!($psISE)){“Press any key to continue…”;[void][System.Console]::ReadKey($true)}

1 Like

Hi, cant find information in manual you mentioned, could you please point me that way?.

Background:
I try to automate fix so no manual work would happen on every reboot.

Win 10, I shared drive with authenticated users and Dockhost and Dockusers and hyper-v accounts, but still fix for me is

manually unshare/share
run this in powershell
docker-compose stop
docker-compose start

Also since this is very simple windows setup there is no other drive than C, and docker config only allows C drive share (root level). Adding users with full control to root drive level causes many security prompts :frowning:

Nvm after permissions for auth users resharing is no longer needed, rest taken care of by powershell script delayed 3 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

I also proposed an alternative work around here: