Layout is not adjusted to the screen

Hello @DanBW,

I work along Mr. Gianzanti, and actually I have a notebook that is running Xibo 2.5.7 and is one of the PCs that do have this issue. Of course its screen can´t be dettached - and most of the times it will start playing the content with the aforementioned offset.
I checked the registry keys and hand typed them just to be sure - but the problem persists. In this specific case, I am ruling out the disconnection of the display as being the cause as it happens when I first start the notebook in the morning (or restart it during the day).
Also, we have a custom Player properties in place (0, 0 , 1366, 768 - the actual resoluton of the display) but the problem persists.

I will try to uninstall it and give version 300 a try and let you know if the notebook behaves differently.
Best regards,
Norberto

Hi Norbies,

Thank you very much for the information you have provided, this is very helpful. These are very good points you have mentioned. I will also wait to hear if you encounter the same issue with the 300 player.

I noticed in your message you mentioned "it happens when I first start the notebook in the morning (or restart it during the day)". This is something that is being investigated at the moment, I wondered if you might be able to test this theory by adding a startup delay for your installed apps?

Below is a link to another thread where this issue is being discussed, could you follow the instructions in my latest post and see if the issue still occurs when you set a 60 second delay?

This issue is very difficult to replicate and so far I have had no luck seeing this on my test players. If yourself or any other members of the community are able to confirm if this reduces the instances of this issue occurring that would be very helpful.

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW
Sorry for the delayed update, but we were working on this issue, and trying to assemble all solutions and tips provided in the forum (thanks for mentioning the other posts).

So far we identified the following in our affected PC (which is a Acer Aspire A3 notebook with a i507200 CPU, 4Gb of RAM, Windows 10 Single Language 64bit 2004 build 1083, Feat. Experience pack 120.2212.3530.0, Intel HD Graphics 620 with driver ver 26.20.100.7261 1366x768 @ 60Hz , Xibo Player 2.257.2)
To start, we´ve setup a Player configuration to comply with the recommended resolution of the notebook display: 1366x768 pixels. We have even tried -1, -1, 1370, 770, with the same (undesired) results
Then we´ve updated the Intel Graphics HD 620 adapter using the manufacturer latest release. Again, no luck.

Test 1: Increase the startup delay to 60 seconds in Windows registry as suggested in the post (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize)
Result: inconsistent. The Xibo Player window will sometimes display in the wrong position - in the first initialization in the morning, or if I restart the notebook (either manually or sending a command from Xibo CMS)

Test 2: Disable the startup of the Xibo Client.exe in Windows Startup - and created a Scheduled Task: delay of 60 seconds, after any user logon.
Result: achieved a better result (approx. 9 out of 10), but the Xibo Window icon will be active in the Windows´ Task Bar until I actively click the mouse.

Test 3: Still running the scheduled task, I´ve setup an AutoIt macro to left click a random spot in the screen so the task bar will lose focus and hide itself.
Result: almost perfect, but sometimes the taskbar would be displayed (or the Xibo window was displayed in the wrong position). So I followed another tip from the forum: I moved the taskbar to the side, and set it not to be locked. This simple hack apparently made this issue with the taskbar disappear.

Test 4: Install Xibo Player version 300.5 from scratch
Result: none of the solutions worked. The window was displayed in the wrong position more than 70% of the notebook hot and cold starts. So I uninstalled, removed all the Xibo folders and entries in the registry, and reinstalled version 2.257.2

Test 5: re-enable the Xibo Player in the Window Startup and disable the scheduled task.
Result: so far, we have a good score - the windows position seems to be holding up well in the last 10 reboots, but we are not confident that this will sustain, according to our test 1 above.

In all tests, if the Xibo Player process is killed (or closed), and then the Watchdog relaunches it, the window will always be displayed fullscreen, as intended.

So far, the combination of these tweaks seems to be the best (but not definitive) solution so far:

• have a Player configuration in Xibo CMS to explicitly declare the resolution of the screen/windows
  • use the registry modification to delay the startup to 60 seconds
  • use a scheduled task to delay 1 minute the launch of Xibo Player.exe, after any user logged on
  • move the taskbar to another position than bottom, and unlock it (but still having it to auto hide), so it will not be displayed with the Xibo Player icon active

Is there a way that we could confirm where, how and when the Xibo Player process will retrieve the information from the display driver / settings / registry while starting? Or could it be a Intel driver issue, more specifically related to the 620 model?

Thank you so far, @DanBW for your attention - but this is a big issue to our client, who is considering moving to another platform because of this issue - the end user is a big company, and is not ok with having the Xibo Player window closed when the offset occurs.

Best regards,
Norberto

1 Like

Hi Norbies. Thank you very much for the tests you have performed and for passing this information on. I will inform the development team about your test results so they can look into what changes can be made to resolve this issue. Thank you also for the information about the version 3 player, this is also helpful.

If any other users experiencing this issue have also tried the startup delay and have had different experiences to the tests above, please post your findings.

Many Thanks.

Hi,
Delaying the start of the application didn’t work.
I changed another player from HDD to SDD and it is ok now and I don’t have this problem on all players where I changed to SSD.
p.s. Player V3

Hi Miguel_Ferreira. Thank you for also trying the startup delay and confirming that this has not resolved your issue but that changing from a HDD to an SSD has. This is also helpful information for the developers and I will inform them about this as well.

Many Thanks.

I can tell you what we do in code and link you to the relevant sections for your information. When the application loads, the main entry point in App.cs will create a new “MainWindow”, which WPF will load. We set WindowStartupLocation to manual.

On creation we bind to two events:

• Loaded
  • Win32 System Events Display Changed (if the windows display settings change)

In the Loaded event we call SetMainWindowSize here xibo-dotnetclient/MainWindow.xaml.cs at develop · xibosignage/xibo-dotnetclient · GitHub.

In the System Events Display Changed event we call SetMainWindowSize again: xibo-dotnetclient/MainWindow.xaml.cs at 4420db155bceac365f36dbfa5be693392919faf1 · xibosignage/xibo-dotnetclient · GitHub. This will reassert your settings if you’ve specified some, or take the new primary monitor width/height.

SetMainWindowSize will look at settings and at the primary monitor size and set the Top,Left,Width,Height of the window accordingly. See: xibo-dotnetclient/MainWindow.xaml.cs at 4420db155bceac365f36dbfa5be693392919faf1 · xibosignage/xibo-dotnetclient · GitHub

Looking at all the screenshots provided, it does appear that the width/height of the window are being set as expected. The Top/Left coordinates of the top left corner of the window however appear to be incorrect.

You will see from the code though that there simply isn’t a code path which wouldn’t set those to be -1,-1 (based on your settings) or 0,0. This is why we are stuck, there is little additional we can do beyond saying start at 0,0 which is what we’re already doing.

The only thing I can think of is setting 0,0 in the XAML file as well as in code, just in case something is preventing that from happening. I could also make an audit log which output the Top,Left,Width,Height each time we set it (might give us a clue). Let me do that and come back to you with a beta build.

1 Like

Prerelease: v2 R258.1 PsiTransfer

The link will work for 3 days.

Thank you @DanBW & @dan

I have downloaded the installer and will apply it to the notebook ASAP. One interesting fact: after some days with no issues (using the delayed startup set to 60secs), yesterday I had two occurences of the offset. Maybe it’s worth mentioning that we´ve changed the layout also yesterday (and currently using only one layout per player).
As soon I have more information I will share with you.
Best regards,
Norberto

1 Like

Hi Norbies. I saw this comment was almost a week old and wondered if you had tested pre-release? I also wondered if any other users have tried this pre-release and have any results to pass on? Thank you in advance for any feedback we receive.

Many Thanks.

Hello @DanBW
Sorry for taking so long to update this topic as we are a bit overwhelmed with super busy days. But chose to wait a little bit to report my latest results using the beta 258 installer you kindly provided.
So far, I had ZERO incidents
The current configuration of the notebook is as follows:

• XiboClient (258.1) is in Windows Startup
  • Scheduled task to run Xibo Client is disabled
  • The registry hack (serialize/StartupDelayInMSec) is set to 60 seconds (# EA60)
  • Taskbar is unlocked and positioned to the left
  • Display profile is using -1, -1, 1370, 770 as display parameters

The other PC which has never presented the issue is also running the beta build, also without problems so far.

I think you have done it! Thank you very much for addressing this!
Best regards,
Norberto

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply Norbies, and also for testing this for us. This is fantastic news, I will let the developers know. and will update this topic when I know more.

Many Thanks.

Hi again Norbies. I wondered if you could remove the additional workarounds you have applied to your notebook so we can be sure that R258.1 is resolving this issue on its own?

Many Thanks.

I already started the tests removing the following tweaks:
a. Delete the Windows registry Serialize key, so Windows will startup the items using the default parameters (I changed to ZERO before deleting the startup dword)
b. Remove the Scheduled Task and set Xibo Client to startup from Windows default startup shortcut
c. Other minor tweaks were disabled, including taskbar position and lock state
d. the last one: remove the custom window size and position (cleaned all the custom settings)

So far - after 2 restarts - its running as expected.
Best regards,
Norberto

Hello @dan and @DanBW

Just to keep you updated - we restarted the notebook a couple of times after my last message, and so far we did not see the offset happening again.
Should you have any questions or need us to test anything else let us know.
Best regards
Norberto

1 Like

Thanks for the update - I am hopeful then that the code change fixed the issue! We will wait a little longer until tomorrow and then make a general release with the fix inside.

Your help with the issue has been fantastic, thank you.

Hi Norbies and the other users who have been experiencing this issue. R258 has just been launched, which includes the fix for this issue that Norbies has been testing. Below is a link to the blog post for the release:

Please can all users experiencing this issue upgrade to this version to resolve the issue.

Many Thanks.

1 Like

That´s great news @DanBW!
Thank you very much for your time and attention to this issue! I´ll upgrade my offending notebook and report back to you if something different happens.
Best regards,
Norberto

That sounds great, I’ll keep an eye on the post in case an issue occurs.
Thanks to you for your help with this, it’s difficult to troubleshoot an issue you cannot replicate. Having a device to troubleshoot that was consistently experiencing this issue definitely helped to narrow this down, so you should thank yourself as well :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Many Thanks.

2 Likes

Again, thank you @DanBW , Xibo users and Xibo team who helped us to address this issue.
We hope we can continue to help the community and Xibo software

Best regards and many thanks,
Norberto