Is is possible for video streaming to an IP displaying devices

Hi everyone,
I am a beginner in Xibo community :slight_smile:
As I knew, a Xibo client is currently running on Windows or Linux OS with directly connected monitor. In particular, the Xibo client receives scheduling contents form Xibo Server and displays them on it own monitor.
But I wonder that can the Xibo client can re-direct, stream receiving contents to an IP monitors that has it own IP address.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help
LongKB

Xibo is not capable of transmitting a video stream itself.

You could run a Windows Player, and use software such as VLC that can encode the screen output and transmit that as an IPTV stream to other devices though. It’s not something we’d actively suggest or support though.

1 Like

Hi Alex,
I am thinking about a method that encodes the screen output as you said. But the main problem is transmission delay.
I have already tried to use VLC for streaming, and the delay usually reaches 6-10 seconds.
Could you give me some recommendation to stream the screen output that reduce the delay
Thank you very much
LongKB

I’m afraid it’s not something we’d recommend so I don’t have any particular suggestions.

Live streaming will always have an overhead like that though - since the video stream has to be captured, converted, buffered, sent, buffered, decoded and then rendered, so I don’t see you getting it much lower than a few seconds.

1 Like

Thank for your reply :slight_smile:
I will consider about it :slight_smile:

Not sure what exactly you’re trying to accomplish, perhaps an outline of what you’re trying to do would help.

You could use a dedicated HDMI encoder (outputs video in RTSP/RTP or other digital formats).

Hi Guru_Evi,
In my case, I am trying to deploy Xibo clients by using Docker containers. This mean that multiple Xibo Client can be allocated in the same physical host.
To accomplish that, I am considering about using IP TV that connect to Xibo clients. And when Xibo clients receive scheduling contents from Xibo CMS, they will stream receiving contents to the connected IP TVs

Which Player are you planning to run in a Docker container?

Hi Alex,
I plan to use Xibo client. Is it possible to run Xibo client in a containers?

Not that I’m aware of. There’s a Player for Windows and Android. I’ve never tried running either in a container, if that’s even possible.

Oh, my player is Windows Player.
I think it would be better if we can package the Player in a container. Currently, the Windows players are using a single OS for running, and it would be a waste of computing resources. And we can optimize a required resources by using container.
How do you think about it?

It’s not a configuration we support. You are of course very welcome to try. I think you’ll find the overhead of the video capture and encoding will use far more processing power than you imagine and so several individual players will be cheaper and far more reliable.

1 Like

Yes, I found that the streaming delay is a big problem.
Anyway, thanks for your comments :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

I am using the epiphan video “Pearl” to encode video. As Alex mentioned, there will always be a delay, but the Perl is very fast. It also is capable of several “channels”.

They also make some single channel devices, this is really good product. All professional grade. I stream video to about a dozen signs without any issues. The RTSP stream works really well with the Android players. I haven’t had time to create a working display with a windows client, I know it’s possible, but I have not achieved it as of yet. There are other discussions on the forum in regards to that.