Interactive Signage

My 2 cents on interactivity.

I’ve tested a third party CMS which provided the ability to create multiple pages associated with the same layout, adding hotspots to navigate between them and display a web page (input form) on a region.

For some reason, the virtual keyboard was not executed while focusing in a form field and it turned out that the system did not support that… just a comment so this is considered in Xibo…

Whoops! We will make note of that although I must say that I can see why it would be difficult (with the virtual keyboard effectively gobbling up a whole lot of screen area)

Hi

Im also new in Xibo - my request for Interaction with System is a little different:

Screen should display slkdeshow (like usual Xibu Installation) - as soon there is a User Action (in our Case a Remote Controll) slideshow should stop and bring up a Menu (Picture Based) with availible Videos to playback - then User can select a Video - playback it …

Then after leaving Menu or after Timeout User Menu sholud hide and usual Slideshow should start again.

This Feature would be great …

As REmote Controller there are many options: IR wirth LIRC, Bluetooth Remote and so on …

I think that the remote control acts as a standard input (i.e. the application wouldn’t need to know the difference between touch and remote). Although in your case it would need to listen for “move” events rather than “press” events.

An interesting requirement for sure - we will take it in to account.

Hi Dan

The Reason why i dont like Touch solution is simple that this should not be used by end User - only a Salesman should be able to take a Remote Controller and show Videos …

The other thing is that Big SCreens with Touch are very expensive and a usual Remote Controller will not cost a big amount …

Best regards

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you use touch - I was explaining (for my own reference later) that they are effectively the same as far as the app is concerned.

Hi Dan

May i ask if there exists a Timeframe when interaction will be availible ?

Best Regards

We hope it will be in our 1.9 release - current timeline being 9 to 12 months.

I have an interesting case use:

We have several “Multi-Use” Kiosks. These Kiosks main purpose is for a company intranet. While the Kiosk is not being utilized, we use a screen saver for displaying a slide show. Would it be possible to make a Xibo client that functions as a screen saver?

I feel that this thread may be similar in purpose.

Thank you

The windows player can already function as a screensaver: http://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/install_windows_client_screensaver.html

2 Likes

That is FANTASTIC!! Thank you, and sorry for being a newb! We tested Xibo about 5 years ago, went with a commercial solution. We are now replacing that solution with Xibo 1.7.9.

1 Like

Being able to scroll left and right trough layouts in a campaign (on a touchscreen) would be an amazing feature!

From my perspective (food & beverages industry), a finger swipe function to scroll and a touch function to view more details would be nice. In addition, a timeout function (e.g. 60 seconds idle, without touch events) that return to the original layout would be a plus. Honestly speaking, 1920*1080 still short for an extensive menu. Even more so if a user is close enough to touch the screen. Font size has to be at a minimum pixel size to be displayed clearly sharp. Other thoughts are shopping mall public information display (PID) such as directory of shops and services, etc.

1 Like

I’m just adding my use case. I think it is already listed above, as it is a very simplistic workflow.

I have a generic layout that shows weekly announcements for a church service.
I want the kitchen staff to be able to touch a button (Touchscreen or mouse) and change the layout to show the live stream video.

Hello Dan

When would 1.9 be released?

Thanks

Hello

i also want to ask if there is a current timeline for 1.9 or this Feature in common ?

Second Question: Is there a Plan how this Feature will work ?

For my case i prefer a kind of “menu” open when pressing a button on a Remote or Touch - then user can select out of a range of layouts displayed…

1.9 will be sometime next year - at a minimum it will be 6 months after 1.8 is released (we are currently at 1.8.0-beta).

We do not have a precise spec for it, beyond what is written in the first post on this topic (which is edited to keep it up to date with current state).

Hello Dan

I appreciated for the updated release date.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Dan,
I developped “something” like a template creator in which one can define a region as “clickable (one-click, dpuble-click)”. On clicking this “button” a URL opens in fullscreen with the options to close or go back. Also the idle-time can be set in milliseconds. I am trying to cut out the code snippet to be implemented in Xibo. The code is written in PHP and JavaScript.

I will keep you informed.

Best Regards,

Gerhard