Interactive Signage

Hello Dan

I appreciated for the updated release date.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Dan,
I developped “something” like a template creator in which one can define a region as “clickable (one-click, dpuble-click)”. On clicking this “button” a URL opens in fullscreen with the options to close or go back. Also the idle-time can be set in milliseconds. I am trying to cut out the code snippet to be implemented in Xibo. The code is written in PHP and JavaScript.

I will keep you informed.

Best Regards,

Gerhard

Hi Dan,
Are you saying that we cannot use touch screens with the current version?
if yes,
could you please describe?

As far as i know,
if we do have HTML and Flash support, we should be able to have and use touch screen interface correct?

Thanks!

If you design your own touch screen user interface with HTML and then embed that into Xibo, then you can use the touch screen functionality. You should be aware that once your embedded/webpage widget expires it will be removed even if a user is currently interacting with it.

This feature request is about having that functionality built into Xibo directly.

Hi Dan,
thanks for the response.
Yes that was the idea to either use HTML5 or Flash user interface.
However,
If the HTML5 user interface is placed in another server and the URL is used in the Xibo player,
there should not be any need of embedding it correct?

What do you mean by “expires”?
if the URL is set to be there always (not scheduled), it should not be removed and it should only refresh according to duration.

A post was split to a new topic: Change Layout using a door sensor

That is the meaning of embedding in this sense - you are embedding it in a webpage inside Xibo

It will expire each time the layout duration is reached

Hi Dan,
thanks for the response :smiley:
I have several custom content that are placed in a server and the URL’s are used as content in Xibo.
I have 30sec duration which is fine and the pages are refreshed each time when the duration ends.

However,
i have an issue with it which is the black screen gap in between.
When i have 2 URL’s back to back in my layout the gap between those 2 is way too long and the change is not smooth.

Is there any chance to make the change smoother and gap shorter?

Thanks!

It took a while - sorry! It somehow slipped my notice (as things sometimes do!)

After each expiry event the hosting web browser is removed and the area prepared for the next item of content. The rendering method of the next item is loaded in its place, and in the case of an external web page, the URL is set. When the document has finished loading the web browser is shown.

If there is significant delay, this can be due to 2 things:

• The time it takes the player to remove the old web browser and put another one in its place
  • The time it takes for the external webpage to load

It is hard to check which of these is the case for you, but a simple test might be to schedule a layout with 2 text items inside 1 region - short duration. Do you get the same length black gap between those (text also uses a web browser, with a local webpage).

Thanks Dan!
The gap is everywhere honestly, no matter what is the content and the changes aren’t smooth.

I will however do the test and post.

You might just be running on a device that doesn’t have enough horse power then i’m afraid :frowning:

Thanks Dan!
I have the same issue with computer running,
i7 CPU, 4GB RAM, SSD drive and Win 64 bit.

It simply cannot be the performance of the PC.

At “Event driven actions” section please add TCP or UDP events. A very simple way to create interactions not only from external sources, but also between Xibo players on the network. Similar to “signal received on COM port” as in the OP, but not requiring serial port, rather use a network stack instead (Android players rarely contain serial ports, and even PCs lack it nowdays, especially small form factors like Intel NUC).

The player could be configured to listen on a TCP or UDP port for ASCII messages. The layouts could be configure to react to matching strings coming in on the network port. Other layouts could be configured to send TCP or UDP messages out.

Use cases:

• play content in sync on multiple players (could be used for a video wall). For example designate a player as “Master” on the network, and have it send a user-defineable string like “START” to the network (broadcast it to 255.255.255.255) in a UDP package port 5000, whenever the video starts playing from the beginning (the layout has a video file playing in a loop). All the other players on the network configured to listen for UDP on port 5000, and the layout to watch for the “START” ascii string coming in. When this comes in, start playing the video from the beginning, or if reached the end just wait (the layout has a video on it, without loop, it just relies on the command from the master).
  • an external device generating UDP packages with ASCII strings on them. We are currently developing this low cost hardware to implement push-buttons, but can be easily achieved with Raspberry Pi or Arduino, which can very simply translate GPIO events to Ethernet packets. Used for example to change video during playback: use a layout with several video regions on top of each other, each playing in loop by itself (not jumping to next one). Skipping between videos can be done with push-buttons, each region/video would have its own dedicated button. (sounds complicated, but it’s very easy: at an exhibition the same video in a dozen of languages, and use a dozen of buttons under each screen so that the viewer can select his own language - currently we have to use BrightSign to do that, but Xibo would be so much better).

A post was split to a new topic: Deleted admin users

That would be amazing. I think it would be great to somehow have xibo be used as a customer display screen at a cafe, like a supermarket showing what is being sold

Hi Dan, I note that you’ve previously said Interactive Signage will be available in 1.9 (at least 6 months after 1.8). Could you provide an update to this please, as we have a client looking to be able to create and edit their own interactive touchscreen display and is looking for timescales.

1 Like

Hello,

we are also new at xibo, and are missing the touch interaction.
Would be nice for us, because we would like to build for our guesthouse roomtablets, wich should allow the guests to surf to special websites and make a survey at the end of their stay.

So we are very interested in the schedule (launching) of 1.9 with the interactive features.

Yes it could. Thanks for the contributors for your views.

Hi Dan,

I want to create a solution.I would like your knowledge on this subject.There will be two region in my thema design. First region will be normal Campaigns. Second region will be button. Click the button to open the first region web page. The first region will not appear in Campaigns again for 15 seconds. Is it possible to do this with Xibo?

Best Regards

Sorry but that is not currently possible.

Our implementation has been delayed in preference to other more demanded features and improvements (you will see these rolled out into v2 over the coming months - and of course v2 itself).

Our current plans are to implement interactive capabilities as described in the first post of this topic, in version 3 of Xibo. We have a road map and specification to make these changes, but they are not small and will take time.