High Data Usage

Hello,

I recently converted 250 clients from 1.6.0 to 1.7.9. I stood up a new server for the transition, and now everything is up and running well. The main reason for the upgrade was due to very high data usage on the clients. They run on cellular modems, and data is expensive as everyone is aware. The content is about 180MB that changes maybe every 2 weeks. However, we were seeing upwards of 2GB a week in usage from Xibo.

Since the upgrade last Friday, a few of the devices are showing maybe 20MB for “Registrar” 20BM for “Required Files” 20MB for “Media Inventory” and 5MB for “Schedule”. I also show 180MB for “Get File”, but that one I know is correct.

My question is how to reduce this? 60MB for a few days of the player running, seems high. I have logging set to off, and stats reporting also turned off. I just changed the check in interval from 1min to 10min based off other post I read on here. Do you think that is going to solve the issue?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am rolling this out to another 2000 devices in 2017, and I need to get data usage down.

Best Regards,
Nathan Rowe

Changing the collection interval in that way will reduce the load by a factor of 10 for required files, schedule and media inventory, which may help solve your issue.

60MB for a few days is not that high when you consider you were asking for an update once a minute, 60 times an hour, 1440 times a day. That makes each request about 14k, which is not massive.

I think that a lower frequency update of 10 minutes will make this a much more palatable figure.

Well @dan, when you put it that way LOL! Thank you for braking it it down so clearly for me. That really makes sense, and its pretty funny that I didn’t break it down that way myself.

You guys are awesome at providing great support. I will update this post if I still face issues on the new settings.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Nathan

1 Like

Hello,

I have to use this topic because I have a similar problem.

We have 11 outdoor led screens with DSCS9 players and private server with xibo 1.8.7, and we realized that the data usage was very high. The collection interval was 1 minute, so we have reduce to 10 minutes, but the data usage doesn’t decrease.
The contents that the player shows are HTML files/ webpages. Not sure if in this case, the collection intervale makes sense, and the player is continously reading this files from internet, and this is the fact that makes the data usage so high.

I hope you can help me, because the ratio of data usage is 50 MB/hour!!!

Thanks!