Feature/Bugfix inside: Activating GPU accelleration for Xibo for Windows Player / Solution for Slow Stuttering Marquee Ticker & Effects

Dear Alex & Dan & Xibo Team members,

First of all thank you very much for sharing this wonderful piece of software as Free Open Source! :slight_smile:

I’ve set this up for my old high school https://dreilinden-gymnasium.de/ . However, running 4 ticker / marquee effects caused heavy stuttering / jitter in the Xibo for Windows Player - while the preview in IE11 and FF was smooth!

Time to give at least a little something back to you: Reading your and other user messages here I quickly figured that this - marquee / ticker and Xibo for Windows Player performance - is a recurring issues for years. So I decided to dedicate some time debugging your Xibo for Windows Player application - and not to wait until the new cross-platform player.

Long story short:

“By default, this feature is enabled for Internet Explorer and disabled for applications hosting the WebBrowser Control. To enable this feature by using the registry, add the name of your executable file to the following setting.”

Yes, while enabled in IE11 by default - you have to turn it on for XiboClient.exe. Please just add this to your installer as you already did for enforcing Edge mode (where possible).

One small REGKEY - a HUGE step in terms of performance for Xibo for Windows Player:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPU_RENDERING]
“XiboClient.exe”=dword:00000001

=> Assuming a x86_64 (64 Bit) Windows, otherwise WOW6432Node has to be removed of course.

=> Above REGKEY changes only take effect after a restart of Xibo for Windows Player.

=> User feedback is highly appreciated. @Community - Please test and give us feedback here. Until now all systems I’ve tested so far (AMD, Intel, NVidia, VirtualBox 3D acceleration) benefited heavily and showed no gfx issues - while CPU usage and temperatures dropped massively. One could make this an option

=> So maybe this can make it into Xibo for Windows Player 1.8.2 :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much!

Kind regards,

Alexander Schories

1 Like

Thanks Alexander, this looks really interesting. It would be lovely if it could be this simple. We will run some tests on it, and if everything proves good, add it to the installer.

What we really need is some feedback from the vast variety of different users running with different hardware.

To make it clear - 64 bit windows users:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPU_RENDERING]

32 bit windows users:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPU_RENDERING]

I’ve created an issue for it here for us to investigate:

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much! As XiboClient.exe is a 32 Bit application it is actually the other way around in this particular case:

64 bit windows users:

"XiboClient.exe"=dword:00000001

32 bit windows users:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPU_RENDERING]
"XiboClient.exe"=dword:00000001

Agreed, more tests would be useful. :slight_smile:

Thank you once again!

Alexander

1 Like

Of course - thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for this great tip!

I’m using an Intel NUC7i3 with 8Gb ram and Win 10 as the client and was seeing bad stutter and some tearing with just a text marquee ticker as the only content being displayed. Adding the regkey has resulted in much smoother scrolling with only a slight hesitation but no more tearing.

1 Like

Hi, I would like test out this feature but i couldn’t find it in my registry.

Running Windows 10 pro 64-bit

do i need to manually add FEATURE_GPU_RENDERING ?

Thanks

Yes, you will need to add it manually to the registry, please also remember to add it in the correct path to your machine (x32, x64 will have different paths).

Thank you for your speedy reply Peter. Will try it out…

Android player has the same issue, you can fix it by adding another option

See :

https://chrissilich.com/blog/fix-css-animation-slow-or-choppy-in-mobile-browsers/

I fixed it by using javascript in an Embed Webpage in an Overlay , but there is still some lag when the next layout is loading. But I don’t think I can find a fix for that.

Do I need to open a new topic for that ?