Error sending commands

Hi

I am looking to send a command from the CMS to the player using XMR on a custom setup. (not using docker)

I’m able to send a command such as start notepad and this works fine, however my shutdown command is throwing up an error on the player information screen “Cannot start Run Command: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

My command:

Any suggestions regarding this would be much appreciated.

The command I tend to use is:

shutdown -f -t 0

You’ll need to change the command definition in your Display Settings Profile, then allow enough time for the Player to collect from the CMS (or trigger that by running a Collect Now), before you can test, otherwise it’ll still be running the old command.

Hi Alex,

I’ve changed my collection interval to 1 minute and changed the shutdown command to yours, and given it about 10 minutes but I am still getting the same error. Is there any other possible cause for this?

Thanks

If you open a command prompt as the user running the Player, and run that command, what happens?

It doesn’t work, but if i run shutdown /f /t 0 it will work.

When I use shutdown /f /t 0 in the commands in the CMS I get the same error as before

Can you try on another machine then? To rule out something specific to that computer?

If the commands with slashes work better for you then that’s fine.

I’ve got three players, two are Win 10 machines and one is Win 7.

I’ve tried both variations with dashes/slashes and in all instances i’m getting this error.

The only other thing I can see wrong in the CMS is that the players are not reporting as logged in? but are responding to schedule/layout changes.

Edit:

52934 bdbca40 2017-12-20 11:28 XMDS POST ERROR JCA-DISPLAY-STR RegisterDisplay Invalid Character Error

Just noticed this in the CMS log viewer.

Suggests there’s something in the display name perhaps that the system doesn’t like. What is the display called?

The displays are all named similarly:

JCA-DISPLAY-REC
JCA-DISPLAY-STR
JCA-MUSICDS-001

It’s not display names then. You’d need to enable auditing to see what is throwing that error.

If the call to register isn’t working properly, then the chances are your new command definitions aren’t being pushed down.

I’ve enabled auditing, and the errors are happening during 11:36 as seen here

however here is the output of the player during that minute, is there something I am missing?

Interestingly I have removed the command entirely from the CMS, now all players are reporting as Logged in. I’ve verified this by re-adding the command and then deleting it again.

The command name is simply Shutdown and the command itself is as seen in the previous posts.

This seems to happen regardless of how I configure the command, and the start notepad command which previously worked for me is causing the same error message.

The following works for me.

Command definitions

Display profile settings:

So I firstly add the Command Definitions. Everything is fine, players report as logged in, even after waiting ~10 minutes or so.

As soon as I add the settings into Windows display profile, and wait for 2 minutes, all displays are Logged off. Then I send command to player and get the same error as before. There is nothing new in the Client Information panel that I haven’t already posted.

I’ve copied exactly, to a tee, the settings you have posted. I’m not having any other problems at all, even screenshots etc are working fine.

Please put the CMS in to audit mode, and then see what it logged in the CMS logs when a display registers.

When the player “unregisters” - or when I add the command into the Display profile, I get this error in the player

How do I put the CMS into audit mode, in Settings > Troubleshooting?

Yes in there, you need to put the error setting to audit, and set auditing until to a date in the future.

I don’t have an audit option for the CMS only for the players, is it likely to be Info or Debug?

Thanks for all the help so far

Please select debug. You should’t adjust the resting log level.

Just spotted this after removing the command info from display profile settings (essentially forcing a re-register of the player)