Embedded Youtube Issues with Player R252.6

Player Version

windows R252.6-252

Issue

Upgrading or using the latest version of the Xibo Player for Windows I am no unable to get Youtube videos to autoplay. There are no issues with older player versions R201-201, I think it may be an issue with the new Chromium player. I am wondering if you have also run into this and have any work around to get youtube autoplay to work with the latest player version?
My current embedded code looks like this:

<div class="video-wrapper"
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/playlist?list=xxxxxmyplaylistxxxxx&autoplay=1&loop=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media; loop" allowfullscreen> </iframe>
</div>

The autoplay works just fine in the xibo preview as well.

You must tell the Player to use the Edge browser to render Youtube content. Chromium doesn’t have the codecs required to show Youtube content, so we have to swap to a different browser for that.

You can trigger that by putting

<!--BROWSER=edge-->

Before your div.

Thanks for the reply Alex but that did not seem to work. The video still does not autoplay, the videos do play but you have to push the play button, with the R201 and R202 players they autoplay.

In that case I would use the embed code we suggest for Android, with the addition of the edge hint I mentioned earlier before it.

https://xibo.org.uk/docs/setup/autoplay-embedded-youtube-videos

I did try that earlier to see if it would work, I added the edge hint with the android script but still the videos do not autoplay.

The correct hint is <!-- BROWSER=edge -->
The space before BROWSER and after edge are critical.

Yep I was missing the spaces. Thanks for the help on this!

Where in the script do you plave the hint?

It needs to go in the HTML section before the div tag. It doesn’t go inside the script element.

1 Like

Thanks Alex (Quick reply as well)

1 Like

Hi Alex, I do also face the autoplay issue since I updated the Player. Will the snippet also work inside a custom module with a non YouTube video? So far I had no luck with <!-- BROWSER=edge -->.

I put this inside a custom module. When I visit the site with e.g. Firefox I have to allow the playback. In Edge, it starts automatically. So far so good.

But I am not sure where to put the snippet exactly to tell the Xibo Player it should autoplay.

If it’s a custom module then somewhere in the custom module code. I can’t be more specific I’m afraid because I don’t know how your module works.

Basically as long as the snippet is included in the HTML that ends up being send to the Player it should work. Keep in mind it’s old Edge not new Edge, so testing in Chromium based Edge isn’t diagnostic.

The BROWSER comment is only available for embedded media types at the moment i’m afraid, and therefore won’t be executed for your custom module.

We have an issue open to discuss exactly what we do about that - its unclear at the moment:

Thanks, Dan and Alex for your replies. Okay I will be patient then :slight_smile:
BR, Hannes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.