Embedded HTML - Player identification

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to thank you for an awesome open source project you are maintaining,

I’m playing with xibo embedded HTML module, and I have a question about it. So far I had only one player and I didn’t have issue with it. Now I’m about to introduce another player and I need a way to identify each one.
I have a form in an embedded HTML which sends an ajax request to my custom backend. I’m trying to send a DisplayName or other player identifier with it, and I’m not sure how to do it. I can’t load config.xml b/c cross origin doesn’t allow loading file:// …

Anyways, any idea is more then welcome.

Configuration: Both server (docker) and windows player version 1.8.2 .

Cheers,
Ivan

I don’t think we have a clear supported way to achieve that I’m afraid.

It require change of source code, I would not consider it a long term solution.

Regards,

Almond Wong

Thank you guys for the answers.
Change of the source code is exactly what I’m trying to avoid…

From everything I found, I think that I’m going to go with some lightweight web server like cesanta/mongoose and Xibo Library as document root. With it, I’ll be able to use ajax to load and parse config.xml over http, into my javascript functions.

Also, is this something that Xibo team could consider as a new feature for Xibo player? There might be many useful cases for embedded web server on a player side…

Thanks,
Ivan

We can certainly consider that for the future development, if you could create a new topic in features category with your use case, requirements etc, then we will have a look at it, I cannot guarantee that it will be implemented, but we will keep it in mind.