Default layout appears only when connected to internet in webos

Hello.
I’ve recently installed Xibo on an LG screen with WebOs.
I realized that when i restart my screen while internet isn’t working, the default layout can’t be loaded. Ones i reconnect TV to the internet then the default layout appears.

on status window (when internet is off) i can see that my LG screen isn’t registered and when i reconnect to internet my LG screen become registered.

In android or windows, once the content/layout had been downloaded, it will always load the default layout, regardless of internet presence.

Is it different with WebOs? what can i do if my customer has a power break down and the screen is restarting but the internet still isn’t working? obviously i want content to play immediately.

thanks
Isaac

Thank you for your message and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

Can you provide the following information please:

• What version of the Xibo for webOS Player are you using?
  • What is the Model number of your LG display?
  • What version of CMS are you using?
  • Do you see any errors when you disconnect the network connection?

Please also provide the following: you are welcome to do so in a Private message if you prefer:

• A screenshot of the Status window on the Player when it is both connected and disconnected from the internet.
  • An exported copy of your Default Layout.

Many Thanks.

Hello.
Currently i can provide some of your requests.
xibo for_webOS : v1.8_R18
Xibo CMS 1.8.9
LG screen: 49LS75C

I did not see any errors or error messages presented on the layout, but i could see in the status window that it’s not registered even though it is registered. once i reconnect cable then it’s registering again. it seems like it’s losing credentials each disconnection and must re authenticate itself.

Regard to screenshot of status window. i will be able to provide it only tomorrow as it’s already packed for delivery.
Regard to default layout, how can i upload the 4 exported files (i’m allowed to upload only image files)

Thanks for support
Isaac

Error shows error connecting to license server - it takes apporixately 30 minutes for it to start play the stored content without internet connection.

Thank you for the screenshot and further information. The first thing I noticed is that your Firmware is out of date. I would first recommend upgrading to 04.74.20 to ensure your display has all of the latest fixes and improvements.

The next thing I noticed is that I can see that the Required Files entry states 0. This suggests that the Player has not yet been able to download the files it needs so it can display your default layout. I suggest reconnecting the network connection so the Player can register with your CMS. Next you will need to wait for the Player to download all of the required files, which will then be listed in that Required Files entry on the Status screen for your Player. Once you have confirmation that all required files have been downloaded, take a new screenshot of your status page showing this is the case. Then try removing the network connection to see what happens.

I would also like to test this on one of our webOS Players, can you confirm what content type you are using in your Layout? If possible, you could send a download link to an exported copy of the Layout, I could then use the same Layout for my test. If you decide to do that, please send it in a private message if you do not want to make the link public.

Many Thanks.

Hello there.
Thank you for your reply.
I will definitely upgrade asap.
Regard to the layout…it’s really a very simple layout of 1080x1920 (portrait) with 1 library item 1080x1920 mp4 video.

Thanks for confirming your will connect the Player to your CMS and allow the files to be downloaded. If the issue persists, I will wait to hear from you and see the screenshots of the Status page, showing it has all of the Required Files for the Layout.

Many Thanks.

Hello Dan.
I’ve upgraded my LG webos to the latest firmware. Unfortunately it didn’t solve my problem and internet must be existing in order for player to start play. else “loading” splashscreen shows forever.

I don’t recommend updating the firmware.
You should open a support ticket. I wish you luck with that, I have an open ticket since 2019-08-13, the support gave me a Firmware that only made things worse.

Thanks for your reply.

Your issue relates to a new piece of hardware for which LG have not released any production firmware, yet acknowledge there are serious flaws in the shipped firmware.

We’ve worked to go between you and LG to try and identify the underlying issues, and get a resolution for that.

Unfortunately issues like apps not starting as required are 100% down to the firmware. As an app developer we have no say in what the TV does at power on other than to request that we be started up.

We’re continuing to work with you, but to imply that we have not made any efforts in this is disingenuous to say the very least.

I would also point out that the firmware varies greatly model to model. Issues that are present in the WP400 firmware are not present in for example in the firmware for the device the customer above has. Advising others not to upgrade firmware is madness as in the main its the route by which issues with the TV itself are resolved.

I’ve upgaded firmaware to 49ls75. Firmware was successful. No problems, yet no success with solving my issue.
I remind my problem:
Splashscreen doesnt dissapear and content doesnt show up unless internet is connected.

Still waiting for solution as my customer doesnt want internet connection, thus, he cannot turn off screen, else content wouldn’t load.

Hello. Any solution for my problem?

Please excuse the delayed reply regarding your issue. I wondered of I could ask you to provide a copy of the Default Layout you are using for your Display? If possible I would like to look closer at what is in this Layout to see if this helps to understand the issue. You are welcome to send it to me in a private message if you would prefer to keep the Layout private

Could you also try the following as a test please?

• Create a very simple Layout that only one region that contains a text Widget. Add a message to the Widget and Save to confirm.
  • Set this Layout as your Default Layout and make sure it is downloaded by your webOS Display by checking the Displays option in your CMS shows all ticks for Status, Authorised and Logged In.
  • Make sure no other Layouts are scheduled to ensure that the Default Layout should definitely be showing on your Display.
  • Once you have seen that this Default Layout is showing correctly on your Display, restart the Display but now without the internet connection. What happens? Does the Layout appear as expected when the Display has restarted without an internet connection?

I would also recommend upgrading the Xibo Player on your Display to the latest 1.8 Version which is 1.8 R19, in case this is an issue that has been resolved since R18. You can find the R19 player at the below link, after clicking the drop down menu and choosing Xibo for webOS.

I also noticed on one of your previous messages you mentioned:

my customer doesnt want internet connection, thus, he cannot turn off screen, else content wouldn’t load.

Please note that the Xibo Player will require a network connection so that it can communicate with your CMS on a local network, or an internet connection if they are not on the same Local network. The reason for this is that the Display will not retain an indefinite schedule, you will need to ensure the Display can therefore check in with your CMS to ensure it has all of the required files and an up to date schedule. Your Player will also need to be able to contact your License Pool to continue to retain the License it is currently using.

Many Thanks.