CMS V4.0.6 - CMS do not migrate RSS Layouts that consume custom Tags

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope you’re all doing well.

Folks, I’m having a bit of trouble making my custom layouts that consume XML/RSS compatible with V4.

Previously, there was no limitation on the tags that could be consumed from the XML/RSS feed, which made this widget very useful and powerful.

However, now it seems impossible to consume specific tags from RSS feeds, even if you have enabled articles with custom HTML in the developer options…

An example of content that consumes XML/RSS that is no longer possible to use due to tag restrictions:

Here in Brazil, we like to follow football, and I created a table of the championship that consumes an XML/RSS feed that indicates the position of each team:

How can I recreate this layout in V4? Because when it was migrated, it simply doesn’t work due to the layout consuming custom tags.

This is just one example, but we use several layouts in this sense that consume XML/RSS content.

Is this expected to be improved in future versions?
For what reason was it decided to limit this widget that much? How can i enable the possibility of consuming custom tags from RSS feeds again?

Thank you all!

This is a side effect of us decoupling visualisation and data. RSS has a “data type” of “Article” which unfortunately doesn’t know about these custom tags. It is not clear to me how we would model that in v4, but I will discuss with the team.

If this was a new requirement, I would lean towards making a custom module which knows specifically how to fetch this football data from your custom RSS feed, and a custom data type to represent the data you’re showing.

Is that something you’d like to explore?

Hi @dan, can you give me an example of how I can customize the “articles” module to be able to consume a custom tag? I tried here, but unfortunately, I couldn’t do it.

Happy to look at an example feed/layout combination to see what is involved.