CMS 4.0.0-rc1 released

We are pleased to announce release candidate 1 for the 4.0 version of Xibo. The codename for this version is “Westphal”.

20D/Westphal was a periodic comet with an orbital period of 61 years. It fits the classical definition of a Halley-type comet with (20 years < period < 200 years). It was originally discovered by the German astronomer J. G. Westphal on July 24, 1852.

4.0.0-rc1 is a development preview only and should not be used in production. We recommend testing this release with a fresh installation of Xibo.

Earlier test releases working towards 4.0:

Feedback, Feedback, Feedback

This release candidate allows all users to test the v4 functionality we have included so far and provide feedback. This is a huge help to us in identifying bugs with new functionality or areas we ought to note for further improvement.

Feedback can be made in reply to this post where a member of the team will pick it up and ask for further details if required.

Download

This release requires PHP 8.1 or later. We also recommend MySQL 8.

Please use the links below to download this release:

You can also get a 14 day trial of v4.0.0-rc1 using Xibo’s Cloud hosting.

Players

The following beta test players are available to try with this release:

All latest v3 players (Android, Tizen, webOS and Windows) will communicate with a v4 CMS in legacy mode.

Changes

This release builds on the prior alpha/beta releases, further refining the scheduling and layout editing experience.

• Layout Editor: group elements
  • Layout Editor: improved layer controls
  • Menu Boards: create menu boards in Xibo!
  • Preview: effects for grouped elements
  • Preview: better handling for no data
  • Schedule: named schedules and improved grid filtering
  • Widgets: fix Google Traffic
  • Widgets: HLS now uses the latest HLS.js library
  • Widgets: various fixes to static templates
  • XMR: included the latest PHAR file for custom installations
  • Various bug fixes
  • Various fixes from 3.3.7

Content Synchronisation

The content synchronisation feature is available for beta testing on Android. The ideal configuration is a wired network connection, to the same physical switch, with identical devices. We hope to support different devices on networks which are “further apart” and will update these recommendations once we have further feedback.

We hope to bring this feature to webOS/Tizen and Windows players in due course.

Future development

We will focus on collecting feedback and making improvements to version 4 and aim to release a 4.0.0-rc2, followed by 4.0.0 in due course!

Hi Dan -

Still playing around with the weather widget over here. :slight_smile: I noticed that when pulling in the “Temperature”, “Min Temperature”, and “Max Temperature” they all seem to come through in Celsius. The numerical value seems to be accurate in Fahrenheit, but it has °C rather than °F. And I can assure you that while it does get plenty hot here in South Carolina, I don’t think it ever reaches 90°C! Another thing I was wondering about was as you can see from my graphic, I have the min temperature, the temperature, and the max temperature from left to right, and then I have the Landscape - Current Day Summary below. I just checked the current temperature, and it is around 71°F, so I’m not sure where the 88 (from the current temperature widget) would be coming from.

That sure is toasty! We will look into it and see about the units.

You have your middle element putting from data slot 2 - so that will be the temperature from the next day.

Ah, I didn’t realize that was a “thing”! I was wondering what those numbers were for! Thanks, Dan!

1 Like

Thanks Kevin! If we can improve the help text on that field, or make it clearer somehow, we’re all ears!

Hello Dan,

I want to report a problem we found here with Xibo for Windows.
I upgraded a player to V4 to make some testing on a V4 server and it’s okay for what I tested.
Problem is when I connected the V4 player back to our production server in V3.3.7, I cannot connect it anymore :

Does it mean we cannot start deploying V4 players while in V3 server ?

Thank you.

Correct - Xibo supports upgrading the CMS first and the player second.