Audio in timeline

I have hosted version 1.8.2 and have all working fine except audio.
In my setup I have some slides going for about 260 seconds that I have a wav playing in that time, then it goes to videos i have. when it cycles back if i try to setup a second wav file for the next time period it will not play it.
but if i let it just cycle back to same wav it does. how can i add a second or even 3rd wav file to get them to play? it is nice to have different music through out time instead of just the same one.

I have the screen split with main at top then weather and time split below. the music is added to the clock which i have staggered with time frame to play music at correct times.

Do you have audio added as a module or is it assigned to a widget (clock)?
I assume it is added to a widget as per:

Could you tell/show me how is that configured please?

I’m happy to look at the whole layout if you’d want to send it to me over private message.

Correct it is assigned to widget which is set
for so many seconds

how do i start a private msg do not see a button

I would setup a clock first with a time of however long and add wav to it then another clock with time of however long with no wav, then repeat. problem is the repeated on had no sound.

Right, first clock widget does have an audio added, second does not have one, is this region with clocks the longest running region on your layout or are there regions with longer duration?

yes the first clock represents the total time of the slides in main area and the second is when the videos I have are running.

I can give you access if could see how to pm

Ah, for some reason I didn’t recall that you’re hosting with us, in this case I can have a look at your CMS without problems.

I’d expect that it will play the audio when the layout reloads ie in this case pretty much when the second clock widget ends.

May I have your permission to import your layout, just so I can test with the same content?

Edit: Thank you, I shall get right on that then.

Absolutely the main one I am working on is the JUV and RMDoor shrls.xibo is the site.

David M. Daniels
Technology Support
Sara Hightower Regional Library System
Rome Georgia
706-236-4621 Office
706-409-1082 Cell
ddaniels@shrls.orgmailto:ddaniels@shrls.org

"If they say it cannot be done, then they quit too soon!"
Quote by me.

I have it running for some time now and it does exactly what I expect ie it plays the audio for 154s along with the images/weather etc in the bigger region.

Then for the rest of the time there are videos with audio and the second clock widget without audio.

After that, layouts reloads and the music from clock widget plays again.

Now, why does it not work for you like that is a very good question, I’m not sure yet, after whole layout reloads I’d really expect it to play the audio for the specified duration.

Could you do a test for me please.

• Remove the audio from the clock widget
  • Add perhaps a new region, can be off the screen even, that does not matter
  • Add Audio module with your audio file and 154s duration to that region

Play the layout on your player, making sure that it is using updated layout version and see if it will work better for you.

Sorry what it does is if I repeat the sequence with a new wav file.
Clock (wav file)
Clock (no wav)
Clock (wav file2)
Clock (no wav)

This is when it would not work. Sorry I took the second set off so I would not have a quiet time.

David M. Daniels
Technology Support
Rome Georgia
706-236-4621 Office
706-409-1082 Cell

“If they say it cannot be done, then they quit too soon!”
Quote by me.

The durations are the same with that configuration?
ie
Clock (wav file) 154s
Clock (no wav) 250s
Clock (wav file2) 154s
Clock (no wav) 250s

which makes that layout twice as long as a result?

I can certainly run it that way.

Yes, but it was the only way saw to run music twice. Do I need to copy the main layout the same way?

David M. Daniels
Technology Support
Rome Georgia
706-236-4621 Office
706-409-1082 Cell

"If they say it cannot be done, then they quit too soon!"
Quote by me.

Actually I think there is an issue with audio added to widgets, I tried it with different settings yesterday and I can’t say that it plays the second audio reliably.

I’ll create a GitHub issue for that so we can look into it.

In the meantime, I’d suggest using Audio module to play the music - as I mentioned created new region, add audio to it with desired durations, audio region can be outside of the layout, as it does not have any visual representation.

Or use a mix of the two, ie clock with audio widget, clock without audio widget, and then audio widget itself.

Thanks Peter:

Glad to know it wasnt just me. Always happy to find a bug in my stumbles.

mailto:ddaniels@shrls.org"If they say it cannot be done, then they quit to soon"
Quote by Me!

sorry took a while, but I did the audio in separate hidden area with just a blank dot in between to space out and works awesome. thanks for help Peter.

Yes that’s a sensible workaround, the issue with audio assigned to widgets was specific to windows player, it should be resolved in the 1.8.3 release.