Access Xibo CMS from another computer on the LAN

I have had a local Xibo install running perfect for sometime. Both the server 1.6 & client are on Windows 7 and are on the same computer mounted behind a TV screen about 8 foot high on a wall.

I need to be able to access the CMS dashboard from another laptop on the same lan to update content and so on, but i forgot the settings required to allow this to happen. Currently i can only update it standing in front of the screen.

I have done this once before, but forgot how i did it and did not document my steps unfortunately (lesson learned :-). I can vaguely remeber that i made a change to make the webserver to listen to 0.0.0.0 i.e for any IP address and not just the localhost? the server has a static ip address and i used to be able to manage it from my laptop by simply browsing to the cms dashboard on http://192.168.1.80/xibo.

Any help is much appreciated.

What you describe is exactly right.

You need your webserver listening on 0.0.0.0 and then you should be able to access it via IP. Check also the firewall is off or you have an exception to allow traffic from the LAN to get to the webserver listening on port 80.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, i don’t remember how i achieved this when i last did it 2 years ago. Where is this config file of the webserver located in Windows 7?

I will check the firewall side tonight when i visit the site.

Thank you,
Superfly

It depends what webserver you installed and where you installed it :smile:

Sorry, i should have been more specific about that. I have XAMPP installed so the apache web server. Kept everything else as default.

I don’t use Windows regularly so I’m not 100% sure but from memory it’s something like c:\xampp\apache\conf

I’m pretty sure you get a control panel application installed that you can click a button to open the file. You’d get better support for XAMPP on a forum specific to it rather than the Xibo one

Sure, no problem Alex. I will spend a bit more time next time i visit the site and figure it out. I have done it once in the past as i said, i was just not sure how i have done it and you have pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Superfly

1 Like

The XAMPP docs say Apache listens on all interfaces by default so I think it’s much more likely that it’s the Windows firewall blocking access, or the PC having a different IP address than the one you expect.

Sorry about the late response Alex,

I have only managed to visit the site today and changed the Apache conf file, changing the line Listen 127.0.0.1:80 to 0.0.0.0:80. There was a firewall rule already in place so didn’t need to make any other change. All works fine now and i can comfortably manage the cms from my laptop while on the LAN.

Thanks and regards,
Superfly

1 Like