XiboClient Multi Install - Multi Watchdog Issue

Hey fellas,
I am facing a problem configuring a xibo client multi install. As some others already described in the forum I also cannot run two watchdog instances - what prevents the second player instance from restarting once I closed it. Everything else works fine.

I followed the instructions (https://xibo.org.uk/docs/setup/windows-player-multi-install) and hints on the forum with no success.

<XiboClientClientWatchDog.Properties.Settings>
        <setting name="LogFileName" serializeAs="String">
            <value>log.xml</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="ClientLibrary" serializeAs="String">
            <value>C:\Users\Johannes\Documents\XiboClient Library2</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="PollingInterval" serializeAs="String">
            <value>60</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="Threshold" serializeAs="String">
            <value>120</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="ProcessPath" serializeAs="String">
            <value>C:\Program Files (x86)\Xibo Open Source Digital Signage2\XiboClient2.exe</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="MemoryThreshold" serializeAs="String">
            <value>90</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="UseTaskKill" serializeAs="String">
            <value>True</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="StartWithCmd" serializeAs="String">
            <value>True</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="SleepAfterKillSeconds" serializeAs="String">
            <value>30</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="NotRespondingThreshold" serializeAs="String">
            <value>2</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="PlayerRestartTime" serializeAs="String">
            <value/>
        </setting>
        <setting name="ProcessCountThreshold" serializeAs="String">
            <value>1</value>
        </setting>
        <setting name="ExtWatchdogPath" serializeAs="String">
            <value/>
        </setting>
    </XiboClientClientWatchDog.Properties.Settings>

This was the config of the Watchdog2 (I renamed the second Watchdog and its config file). I copied the file paths out of Windows Explorer. When launching the watchdog I get an error: C:\Program Files (x86)\XiboClient Player\XiboClientClient.exe" could not be found. Since this is a path that does not exist on the machine and in the config I am kind of clueless.

Any hints are much appreciated!

BR, Hannes.

EDIT: I use Player 2 R201

You must not launch the watchdog. You should launch the Players and they will launch the watchdog themselves.

Hi Alex,
okay I see - honestly that makes more sense since the watchdog usually starts with the player. But it seemed to be working for someone here.

If I restart the PC both Players start, but only one watchdog tray icon appears (I am not sure if there needs to be a second one). And only one player window restarts after I close both player windows. When I discovered that I began searching about how to launch a second watchdog.

Do you have another idea what could be the problem?

BR, Hannes.

Did you set the two players to use different embedded webserver ports in the display settings profiles?

I set the port from the screenshot to 9697 for the second display profile in the cms and assigned it to the second player/display

Is this correct? At least each player shows another layout as I configured in the cms.

Yes that’s correct. If you start just the 2nd Player, does it start its watchdog correctly?

I think no - if I start the second player no watchdog tray icon appears.

Sorry to interject :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe that you can only run one copy of the watchdog at once, unless you rename the exe and start the second one manually. You’d need to do this for the second Player.

Hi Dan,
so you mean renaming the second watchdog.exe and launching it manually? That brings me back to my original post.

I’m pretty sure there is a MSI somewhere that installs the whole lot for you as a second copy, including the watchdog. I am mobile at the moment though so am unable to look.

If Alex is still around, its a white label called XiboClient2 (or similar).

I’ll PM a link to Hannes now.

1 Like

Got it :slight_smile: Thank you very much. I will try it next week when I am back in the office and let you know, if it works.

2 Likes

The link I sent is only valid for 3 days so I would download a copy now as it won’t be there next week!

1 Like

Hey Alex, it works now. Thank you again! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Seems like I have the same issue with 2 screens.
Only one watchdog is running in the background, which means after closure only screen1 starts.
Can’t manually start both watchdogs after changing the .config, file name etc.
Looks like the config for the watchdog is implemented into the installer?
Any chance you could share mentioned .msi package that installs second instance automatically?

Also what would I have to do to get 3 instances if I have 3 screens?
Would that be in form of a request to you guys to create one for me?

I’m currently testing Xibo for my company and would appreciate any help :slight_smile:

Cheers

I’ve sent you a copy of the installers for a second and third screen on Windows. We’ll shortly be putting them in GitHub along with the regular installers so there won’t be a need to request them:

2 Likes

Alex,

Thank you very much for that. I will give it a go straight away.
I will follow github in the future then.

Cheers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.