Xibo with MySQL secure communication

Introduction

The app should be able to connect to MySQL over TLS/SSL

User Story

There are several ways to implement a web application such as Xibo. In my particular setup, I already have MySQL infrastructure, and a cloud that can handle web applications. But Xibo is not setup to communicate with MySQL securely.

Additionally, you are unable to destroy the container and recreate it unless SQL is external. Otherwise, when you destroy the container, the data is gone.

In order to properly run the SQL server outside of the container, Xibo needs to be able to communicate with SQL over TLS/SSL. Otherwise, the only truly secure way to lock down Xibo is to either run SQL on the container itself, or to completely lock down the network it connects through.

I know this was suggested before, but I want to re-open the suggestion. Having SQL communicate securely should be a top priority to enhance the security of Xibo.

That isn’t the case. With our docker-compose files, data is preserved correctly.

Which is exactly what we do. We run a MySQL server on its own private network which only the CMS has access to, and where all communications are local so no TLS is required.

I will log an issue to investigate extra options for a secure connection, however, our supported and preferred method is using the suggested setup and so this is not a high priority for us.

We run a MySQL server on its own private network which only the CMS has access to, and where all communications are local so no TLS is required.

Right, but that forces deployment to fit into just your method of deployment. There are way more ways to deploy this application than just docker, as acknowledged by your documentation (CMS Installation), even if they aren’t ‘officially’ supported. But without network isolation, those installations will be insecure.

It seems silly to even allow connections to an external SQL database if you can’t support secure connections…

Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

Sure. We’ve said we will look at adding that, and indeed there’s an issue filed for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our latest latest container (3.1.0-beta CMS) has support for providing two new options as environment variables:

These are:

• MYSQL_ATTR_SSL_CA=/var/www/cms/custom/ca.pem
  • MYSQL_ATTR_SSL_VERIFY_SERVER_CERT=true

If anyone with this requirement wants to give that ago ahead of the stable release on March 8th 2022, then you are most welcome to do so.

All relevant commits have been tagged to the issue mentioned above if you want more implementation details.

Thanks,
Dan