Xibo switches back to default Layout

Hello everyone,

We use Xibo with a total of almost 40 LED displays, all displays have templates with a specific resolution and work without any problems. The player always runs on a Windows 11 PC. (CMS V3.3) For a few months now we have also had two LCD screens that use the full resolution of 1920x1080p. The following problem only occurs with these two screens, all others do not have this problem. A layout with some pictures and videos runs on the two LCDs. After a few hours the player always loads our standard layout and gets stuck in it. If I quit the player with alt+F4 it starts right back up with the correct layout, but again only for a few hours or minutes. The standard layout is definitely not planned. I’ve already reinstalled everything and recreated the layout, nothing helped! As already mentioned, we have no problem with any other display! The only thing that distinguishes the two LCDs from the other screens is the overall resolution. What can we do here? I don’t want to delete the standard layout because I need it for the other users. If I don’t share the standard layout with “everyone” but share it with all users individually, the names of the other users will be visible to all users, we don’t want that either. Is it possible to exclude a user from the standard layout? Or can anyone imagine what could be the trigger for the problem here? Thank you in advance.

Please add additional information to your question about the version of the Xibo Player software you are using and the hardware of the player. An excerpt from the log files (captured directly on the client when the problem occurs and the Logs sent to the CMS) will also help answer your question. → Check How to record logs for a CMS issue using Report Fault

Have you checked if all these criteria apply to your layouts? → Check My scheduled Layouts are not working? | Xibo Digital Signage

Do the clients have a consistent internet connection? What is the size, resolution, and bitrate of the videos? I had the problem myself where clients switched back to the default layout, but the causes were usually different - e.g. memory leak, media corrupt or not downloaded correctly, incompatible driver versions, or the media took longer than 4 seconds to load and were blacklisted by the Xibo Client.

Thanks for the Help! We did some tests and found out the Videos cause the Problem. When all Videos are removed from the Layout and we use only Pictures, it runs normally. We tested it a few days in a row.
After adding just one Video, no matter what size or length, after some time it gets stuck again.
If the Layout contains only a Video, the Player will not even Restart again. We tested different Video formats and sizes - the same with all of them.
One thing thats different with this PCs is that they are connected over WLAN and not over LAN. But the connection is very fast and stable, i dont think this is causing the Problem.
The Customer really needs the Videos so i have to find a solution here.

Is there any other way to Report a Log file?the way shown in the Link does not work.

I had the same problem on 4 thin clients as you describe. Identical model, OS, and CMS. As soon as a video with mixed images appears, there are issues. However, only photos run smoothly.

I couldn’t identify the problem myself, and currently, the customer is only running images instead of videos. I assume that the clients lack sufficient power/RAM, coupled with a memory leak in the software (Old Xibo Windows Forms version).

As an approach to troubleshooting, I would recommend reducing the bitrate (and possibly FPS) of the videos and/or using a different video format. I had been trying for several months to identify the error from the Windows Event Logs, Xibo Logs, and monitoring through third-party software, but unfortunately, it didn’t yield any results. In my opinion, the easiest solution would be to change the hardware (at least that would be the easiest in my case).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.