Xibo RaspBerry pi 3 DONE, enjoy

Hello, I successfully running the Xibo client image to my RPi3.

How to make it run on RPi3:

Make an sd card with rasbian os (eg wheezy)
Backup the boot partition (copy it e.g. to your desktop)
Make an sd card with Xibo 1.6 RPi 2 image -> https://1fichier.com/?3szjb9s3ve
Delete the boot partition and copy/paste inside it the files from 2nd step
Put the sd card to RPi3 and power it on
Connect RPi with internet (ethernet connection)
Download PuTTY (the SSH and Telnet client itself) and make an SSH connection with your RPi. (you need to find the IP of it, see here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatiaddress.md
Username pi Password raspberry
Execute:

• sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get upgrade
  • sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  • sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • sudo apt-get clean
    Restart
    Correct time zone: sudo raspi-config

Done!

1 Like

Thanks for your notes.

Just so that anyone else coming to this thread is clear, that will install the old 1.6 series Linux Player which will not work with 1.7 and 1.8 series CMS installs, and is no longer supported by the project. For new installs, we very strongly recommend installing something current and supported.

Please see Can I run a Xibo Player on my Raspberry Pi (all variants)

1 Like

I realize that xibo is not “THE OPEN SOURCE ALTERNATIVE” any more, too many commercial tendency, linux and android versions has been discontinued… if you are starting a new project and need something open source to trust, xibo is not a good idea. Thousands of useres thats use linux and android dont know where to go now…

Is just my opinion…

PS: I was a xibo donater!!!

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel that way. I think it’s likely because we’ve not done a good job in communicating progress rather than what you seem to be suggesting - that Xibo is no longer Open Source.

The project has never closed a single line of source code. It has consistently offered the CMS and Windows Players under AGPLv3 and will continue to do so.

We did have an alpha-quality player for Linux which we could no longer maintain because of the huge stack of dependencies and convoluted build process on which is was built meant that without a team of people to keep pace with the Chromium project, we were never going to be able to deliver something stable. As a result, we took a difficult decision to stop development on that since we knew we couldn’t support it going forward.

The commercial backer for the project, Spring Signage, has just put significant investment in to having the libavg integration with Chromium rebuilt around CEF so that we can offer a desktop Linux player again in a manageable format going forward, and that will be, as ever, under AGPLv3. I appreciate we’ve been saying we will offer a Linux Player for some time, so this hasn’t been publicly announced yet since we don’t have firm dates at which this will be available.

There has never been an Open Source Player for Android. XfA has always been closed source, and we have never said anything to the contrary. Kind though your donation was, unfortunately the fifty or so dollars the project gets in an average year does not fund the kind of development that Xibo needs to keep pace, and deliver something worth using. Personally I view XfA being closed source and paid for to be a reasonable compromise.

I’d like to think that people would feel assured that we’ve stated our commitment to Open Source publicly enough times, and haven’t given anyone any reason to suggest that we’ve acted in any way that is incompatible with that.

However, as you say, it’s your opinion and you are very much entitled to it.

7 Likes

Hi Cristiano,

Thanks for your post, i followed the steps you have mentioned

Make an sd card with rasbian os (eg wheezy)
Backup the boot partition (copy it e.g. to your desktop)
Make an sd card with Xibo 1.6 RPi 2 image -> https://1fichier.com/?3szjb9s3ve73
Delete the boot partition and copy/paste inside it the files from 2nd step
Put the sd card to RPi3 and power it on
Connect RPi with internet (ethernet connection)

After i power on i am stuck with a screen which is trying to launch xibo launchpad in terminal and i am not able to access keyboard and mouse. i tried this multiple times both in pi2 and pi3, any support would on the same would be appreciated.

Start with open source, get donations for develop than close it…Nice try…

There is not a single line of code that the project has ever closed source. To say so is an outright untruth. You are mistaken I’m afraid.

1 Like

I just started using Xibo and I think it’s a very good solution, having a digital synage at very low cost.
If people make effort for something I find it quit normal that they get payed something.

1 Like

Hi Cristiano I try to copy Xibo’s image in SD but is very long. I convert SD to NTFS but no response raspberry.
Can you Help Me.
Sorry form my english.
Regards
Emilio

Just for anyone who wants to try this on a Pi3B or newer, to get the Pi3 to boot with the Pi2 Boot-partition you need to change the commandline.txt:

Change the root=PARTUUID=7ee80803-02 to root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 or else the Pi won’t boot further than the raspberries-screen.

Username is still xibo_admin but the password is xibo

Just in case, PHPMyAdmin username is phpmyadmin and password is xibo

I am going to try this too.

Hi this link has been gone !
Could you share a new one please. I am researching about this project and I can’t find anything about it, but only here.

1 Like