Xibo player not using GPU

Hello, am new to Xibo, but I have pretty good grasp at the potential. I have the latest Xibo Server CMS v.4.032 and trying out as my player a Beelink mini-pc S series, it has a Intel n95 CPU and a Intel UHD GPU and 8GB RAM. The mini pc has 2 HDMI capable of 4K simultaneously and it works with Youtube 4K videos. For my OS, I installed Ubuntu 23.04 with Wayland, the Intel UHD driver is included in the kernel this is why I chose 23.04. The Xibo player version 1.8-R7-240 as it is the one that works with Wayland, installed it using --channel=edge in snap.

I have 2 1080p monitors attached to the 2 HDMI with the desktop extended and not mirrored. To create 2 separate images for the 2 monitors, I created an elongated template in Xibo server (3840x1080) and had 2 zones to represent the 2 monitors. I did this so I don’t have start 2 instances of the player. Everything is working as expected, I see jpegs and video on my screen. However, video is choppy, and CPU usage is at 93%-95% as comparison to 50% with the Windows player on the same machine. One of the reasons I think it is reaching that high is the Linux player is only relying on the CPU to do all the rendering and not utilizing the GPU, as indicated when I run the intel-gpu-top utility, everything is at 0%. When I play the 4K video in Youtube, I see the gpu getting a workout rising to about 40%, so I know the Intel GPU is working. In the Windows setup, I see it also using the GPU at about the same rate as in Linux. All the files downloaded locally, can be played normally with the Ubuntu video player, no problem. Btw, all video files are simple 1080p videos not 4K.

Maybe the developers for Linux player can check why the GPU is not being used. So far, comparing the Windows player and Linux player, this is the only one that is missing.

Please do not give up on the Linux player.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.