Xibo client or server internet connection

Hellos

I’ve got a design with forecast weather and RSS Reader. At the Moment I’ve just got one Server and one Client for test purpose. These two Clients are not in a Domain, but it’s a Domain Network. normal Internet Connection works after going to a Website and using Domain credentials. Unfortunatelly the RSS Reader is often not displaying or is not actual (showing the News from yesterday)

So I have two Little questions
a) I do use the following RSS Website: http://www.n-tv.de/rss. Does the RSS Reader just use port 80 or does it use any other path? Cause in the past the Weather worked but the RSS Reader not.
b) from where does the Client gets his informations to Display? i.e. weather and RSS Reader? Does the client gets his self from the Internet or does it load it from the Xibo Server as Cache Info or such?

The RSS reader is a library called SimplePie in 1.7 and picoFeed in 1.8 - both of which use a curl connection to get to the rss content. The port is determined by the URL you are connecting you, in your case standard HTTP which is port 80.

The update interval on the ticker will determine how long it is cached for - default 120 minutes.

If there are problems fetching the feed then you would expect an error in the CMS log.

Forecast/Ticker come from the CMS. Generally speaking things come from the CMS where possible so that they are downloaded from source once and then the displays get the same copy. Exceptions to this are webpages and embedded items that reference external resources.

Hi,

many thanks for your fast reply.

It was very helpful for me, as I could move my Focus Primary to the Server. I am sitting behind a ZSCALER Internet Proxy authentication Methode. The Server and Clients aren’t in the Domain, so the auth must be done manually. I’ve already checked the Proxy function in the Settings with credentials like username:password and Domain\username:password.
Eventhough the weather from forecast is always correct but the rss Reader not.

well, my solution is now that I’ve added a second Network Card for direct Internet as I couldnt find any failure in the log.

Thank you very much for your Support.

greetings, sascha

1 Like