Xibo Android DSCS9X Faults

Hi,

I have 17 DSCS9X devices and in all of them I get this fault:

Memory running critically low - android will terminate background processes

To what is due?

Can I fix it? Will it bring me any problem with the reproduction of my layouts?

Thank you

Hi Marc_Costa, thank you for your message. The error you are seeing is a reference to the RAM memory usage. In the event the usage begins to reach peak levels background processes will be closed to provide more resources for your player and scheduled events.

Are you seeing any performance issues? If yes, please feel free to open a ticket and we can investigate further. I would also recommend taking a look at the media included in your scheduled events in case you have large or demanding videos or images scheduled that require a lot of Memory.

Many Thanks.

Did you also installed other applications?
I have a few DSCS9X running with almost 10GB of content. No issues on that!

For how long is the player online or do you receive this error from the start?

1 Like

It always happens to me. I think the reason is that I have a very long composition with several videos and images that are quite heavy. I’m thinking of dividing the composition with several and doing a campaign.

Thank you for the update Marc_Costa.

If you are using a lot of videos as well as large images this likely the root cause of the errors you see. A good way to test this would be to reduce the number of media items in your layouts and see if you are still receiving the error.

If you find that performance is good but you are seeing the errors it is possible that they are only occurring briefly as the memory usage starts to reach its peak and may not be an issue to be resolved.

You may also find that adjusting the resolution of your images and videos helps to reduce the amount of resource usage when those media items are being displayed. This will of course depend on whether you can afford to do that with your setup. For example, if you have a high resolution image that is much larger than the size of the region it will display in, you may find reducing the resolution of the image to match the region in your layout will reduce the load. The same may also be true for your videos. If they are a very high quality and size this can also require more memory to display.

As mentioned before, please open a ticket on the help desk if you start to experience performance issues. We can also test your events on our units and see if the issue is due to the high load or an undiagnosed issue.

Many Thanks.

I want to share some extra info besides the post of @DanBW

We always ask our customers to share video’s in MP4 format with a maximum of 1080P resolution. The same for JPG/PNG images!! We never exceed the resolution part. Also the DPI of the JPG/PNG should be no more than 96 DPI. I have seen players crashing or really slow build up if the DPI is higher.

We have also learned that putting a lot of video/photo in one layout is also heavy for the player, we have chopped many layouts in different parts and added it all in a specific campaign. The more Layers you use, the heavier your layout will be!!!

Hopefully this will help you!

Good morning Vishal_Debipersad,

My televisions are 4k, now I am broadcasting in 1920 because I do not have higher resolution videos. But in the future I want to broadcast videos at 4k and I hope I won’t have any problems. I upload the images at 72 dpi and 4k resolution.

As I said in the previous reply, I’m testing campaigns, but I’m not sure if they work as well as all the content in the same composition.

Thanks for the input.

By the way, the error does not always appear and it seems that at the moment it is just a warning. I hope that with larger videos it will not become a real problem.

Aha!
In my case, I could be wrong, if so @Xibo has to correct me, i have the feeling that when the layout is being build, it will affect the memory. So in case of campaigns, each layout keeps rebuilding when the player is triggering the next layout in the campaign. If you have a really long layout, it will obviously build it on the player and it will be alot in the memory.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.