Windows 10 Client Freezing

Date and Time are correct.

Player Version

v3 R305

Issue

Windows 10 Player with all the latest updates will run could be an hour or 2, then freezes. When the screen is frozen and I press “i” player shuts down then will restart again.

When the player is running and I press “i” I get these errors messages every 5min.

RegisterAgentThread RegisterAgent - Run Error swapping to HTTPS. E = The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

No errors showing in the Event Viewer.

I have 3 regions, 2 video and 1 web page. The layout is 5min and 33 seconds.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thank you,
John

This error is starting to show up in the Event Viewer.

Faulting application name: XiboClient.exe, version: 3.305.0.1, time stamp: 0xbe2d088c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1889, time stamp: 0xdc0d8494
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0012ca42
Faulting process id: 0x500
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b3064669d724
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Xibo Player\XiboClient.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8130f8e8-1348-4b28-aeae-5d25b82658e8
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

One region froze so was able to press “i”, these are the errors I received.

Video MediaElement_MediaFailed: 405 Media Failed. E = Exception from HRESULT: 0xC00D11C6

Video MediaElement_Loaded: 396 Open not called after 4 seconds, marking unsafe and Expiring.

Thanks

Hi John, thank you for your messages and for the errors you are receiving. I can see that the HRESULT error you are seeing relates to the Memory in your machine:

My first suggestion would be to check if this is indeed correct and your machine is reaching its memory/RAM usage limit around the time that you are seeing the player freeze. You can monitor that in Task Manager under the Performance tab. You mentioned in your message that you have the latest Windows updates applied but do you have the latest drivers for your hardware? I would recommend checking that as well. If your RAM/Memory is reaching its limit you may need to increase the amount of RAM in your machine.

Alternatively I would recommend trying a version of your layout that includes only one of your videos and see if the same issue occurs. You could then try the other video in its own layout and see if that plays ok on its own too. This will help you to narrow down if one of the videos is responsible for the errors. You could also try converting the videos to a different codec/format to see if this improves performance.

I hope this helps to locate and resolve your issue.

Many Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Dan,

Memory seems fine when it’s running. Between 30 and 40%, CPU also around the same. Don’t see any spikes.

Now I did notice a few times that only one region would freeze and the other 2 would keep on working. The region that froze had 5 videos, so I removed them all and only put in 2 videos. It’s been running for over 24hrs without any issues. So could one of the videos be causing the issue? If so how can I test the videos to see if there is an issue. With the 5 videos it could running for an hour or 2 but then just freeze.

Thank you,
John

Thank you for the update John and for testing a version of your layout with fewer videos.

I wasn’t sure from your message if the RAM usage is 30-40% generally or at the time the freeze occurs. Could you confirm which one you meant?

If you have found that the issue is resolved when not using those 5 videos in the region that freezes I would recommend creating a layout that contains only those 5 videos for testing. To narrow down the video/videos that cause this issue you may need to remove one of the videos and see how the other 4 perform. If the issue persists you will need to try again with a different video missing from the layout. I would also recommend taking a look at the resolution of the videos in case any of them have a particularly large resolution, which can sometimes cause performance issues. I can appreciate this is a slow process, especially if the issue takes hours to occur.

Another possible test would be to try converting those videos to see if the issue still persists. I use Handbrake for converting videos that cause player performance issues, specifically the fast 1080p30 or fast720p30 presets. I save the videos as MP4 format as this tends to be supported on the vast majority of devices. This is of course up to you but wanted to pass this on in case it provides a faster solution for your setup.

Many Thanks.

Sorry it’s between 30-50% all the time, when display is working and if the display freezes.

Thanks for the info, I’ll do some more testing and see what I come up with.

Thanks again,
John

Thank you for confirming about the RAM usage John. All the best locating the videos that are causing the issue, I hope you manage to find and resolve it.

Many Thanks.

I think I found the issue, one of their videos was 4k. :grinning:
I nice feature I think would be to show the resolution in the media library. I had to download all the videos and check them. Not a big deal but I think that would be a nice feature.

Thanks again for all your help.
John

Excellent, really glad you found the video that was actually 4K. Hopefully converting that video to a lower resolution will help resolve your issue.

I like your suggestion for the ability to see the resolution of the videos in your media library, I will forward that to the developers for consideration. If there are any other features you would like to see in Xibo CMS you are more than welcome to create a request using this form.

Many Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.