What about key press as Trigger to Actions

Dear Sir,

it is a really nice job to bring interactivity to version 3 of xibo, can you consider adding keyboard input as trigger ? pressing pre defined key will trigger the action.
Regards,
Bashar

1 Like

Thank you for posting! I have taken your request to our development team for further discussion :+1:

1 Like

I would like to show my interest for this function and hope you could give an update.

Adding any keyboard button would allow me to use a simple usb interface to change the layout.

Possible usecase:
A customer comes at the desk and want to see the restaurant menu in a different language.
People looking at the window display can switch between daily special and regular menu.

2 Likes

Hello, I wonder if the Dev team has shared any interest about this function.

It happened today that there was a non native speaking customer. It reminded me that I would still like to switch with a click on the button.

Any USB HID input would be cool. A keyboard would be the most extensive. I can use a keyboard or any of the small HID input buttons that act as a keyboard with only a few buttons.

is keyboard action featured is enabled ?

Thank you for posting, this is still being discussed within the team.

I will post here with any updates :slight_smile:

Hello, I wonder if the Dev team is ready to work in this feature.
if possible can you work on the paid version of this feature ?

Dear xibo team. it is a really nice job to bring interactivity to version 3 of xibo, can you consider adding keyboard input as trigger ? pressing pre defined key will trigger the action. Adding any keyboard button would allow me to use a simple usb interface to change the layout. Possible usecase: A customer comes at the desk and want to see the restaurant menu in a different language. People looking at the window display can switch between daily special and regular menu.

Thank you for posting, I will certainly pass on your comments regarding your use case to the team.

I will post any updates directly to this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, thanks.
Hope to get update sooner.

Any update about this feature ?

Good day everyone!

We understand that there is some interest in this feature and I can see why - it would be a great addition to the software. When we consider putting a feature on our roadmap, we do so based on how many people request it, how it complements existing features, and how difficult it is to do. We of course also consider current commitments, and whether there are any good workarounds (see below).

The change requested is a change to the CMS, including new DB schema, and a change to all players. I also think there could be workarounds (see below). Therefore the earliest I can consider putting this in is 4.1, which will be Q2 2023.

Thanks,
Dan

Potential workarounds (untested!)

Most USB HID input will allow mouse coordinates and clicks to be sent, which you could use as a workaround to simulate a touch event.

Or you could have a Raspberry PI or similar low cost device connected to a keyboard which uses web hooks to send those triggers onward to the player.

Or you might be able to run a small embedded widget on every page (perhaps as an overlay), which listens for keyboard events and uses xiboIC to raise triggers.

Thanks @dan , i will test the workarounds and see if it really works.
is there any sample out there? I want to test xiboIC to raise trigger of region click and update the respective layout.

You would add a webhook trigger and use xiboIC to trigger it: GitHub - xibosignage/xibo-interactive-control: Library for interactively controlling an Xibo Player

xiboIC is already available and configured in all Embedded Widgets.

Lets say you have a webhook action defined called TRIGGER_ME, it should be as simple as adding:

xiboIC.trigger('TRIGGER_ME');