Watchdog 1.7.9 on windows XP

Hello,
I have a problem with the watchdog. XiboClientWatchdog.exe from folder x86 do not start. The
message is that it not a valid Win32 application.
I tried running it from another folder and registering the .dll in the x86 folder but it does not work.
I have to leave these systems XP until I know that XIBO is going to work for me.
thanks!
Robbie

It might very well be XP issue, I don’t think we’ve tested it on XP as it’s an old and no longer supported OS.

On Win7+, watchdog should start automatically with the player without problems.

Are you running the player on an account with admin priviligies? Screenshot of an error you see could be helpful as well.

@Peter

You say that XP is no longer supported, but the release notes and install guide for temple still show XP SP3 as minimum requirements allowed. I have a fleet of kiosks running POSReady 2009, and I just tried to install 1.8.0-rc3 on one, and it installed, but it fails to run at all saying it’s not a valid win32 application. I also wanted to note that the installer will fail if you don’t have .Net 4.0 installed, so the release guide stating .Net 3.5 SP1 is also incorrect. Why is the installer checking for .Net 4.0 when it really needs .Net 4.5 to run?

Can you advise if 1.7.9 is the last stable released client for XP based systems? Also, can we run 1.7.9 clients with 1.8.0 server? I didn’t want to start a new thread for this, but I can if that’s what you would prefer.

Thanks
Nathan

I had the same problem. Look https://community.xibo.org.uk/t/xibo-1-8rc2-player-build-with-target-net-4-0-for-windows-xp-sp3/8226/3
This error report is because xibo player is built under .net 4.5 framework.
.net4.5 is not supported by windows XP.

I can confirm that you can rebuild 1.7.9 xibo player (and watchdog) in Visual Studio 2013 by changing .net platform to 4.0 and executing command in NuGet console to update all packages built for .net 4.0.

About 1.8rc3 - i don’t know - as it is probably rely on EmbedIO package, which has no bulit under .net 4.0.

Also in your kiosks: update your XP to SP3, update Internet Explorer to the latest XP supported version, install the latest .net XP-supported version (it is .net 4.0.3).
I can make mistakes, because don’t remember this well. But our XP sp3 embedded TV box works perfect with rebuild .net 4.0 xibo (1.7.9). Every day it shows videos in full screen mode.

1 Like

Thanks belax, I am running 300 clients on 1.7.9 right now, with watchdog removed. Its too bad that 1.8.0 is not going to be supported on XP, but I understand things do have to have an end of life. However, I wish I knew this before standing up a new 1.8.0rc3 server and configuration, just to find out that I have to go back to 1.7.9. The client release notes need to be updated for all “temple” builds to say XP is not supported. Hopefully then it will prevent someone from facing this same issue.

We certainly do our best to keep the documentation in lock step with the releases - and we review all of the requirements shown in documentation before every stable release. We’ve not reviewed for 1.8 series yet, as there hasn’t been a stable release.

XP support for 1.7 series is a slippery fish - it is supported, but we recommend Win7 as a minimum.

I had no idea the watchdog doesn’t work for XP (it probably slipped my mind, rather than it not being reported). I’ve created a bug for it so that we re-target as suggested by @belax - meaning the installer remains correct.

1.8 series will definitely be .NET 4.5 and therefore not run on XP. You can (at your own risk) run 1.7 players against a 1.8 CMS, but you will not get the benefits of some of the new features, such as push messaging.

Thanks for confirming @dan. I hope I didn’t come across rude, I just wanted to bring it to your attention so that others might not bother you with compatibility issues.

So will you release a version of watchdog that is .net 4.0 in version 1.7.9 or only in 1.8.0?

Are you also going to update the windows client installer for 1.8.0 so that it checks for .net 4.5 instead of .net 4.0?

Thank you for taking the time.

Regards,
Nathan

Understandably frustrated, not rude :wink:

I see no reason not to release that for both series, although its a moot point in 1.8 as the player itself requires 4.5

Yes will do - created an issue for it here:

1 Like

Great, thank you, Dan.

I will keep an eye out for a new 1.7.9 windows client installer with watchdog in .net 4.0. Once that is out, maybe we can link it to this thread and close it. Also, you may want to update the release notes for 1.7.x, so that it says .net 4.0 required for windows client.

Thanks again, you guys really are awesome.

Regards,
Nathan

1 Like